Wall Street falls as health stocks drag
Wall Street was lower on Thursday as healthcare stocks slipped, while strong economic data raised the prospects of tighter monetary policy.
A report showed the number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits fell last week to a near 43-year low. The data comes ahead of a crucial monthly jobs report that will influence the Federal Reserve's decision on interest rates.
A growing number of Fed officials have argued for higher rates as the labor market remains robust and inflation inches towards the central bank's 2 percent target.
"Good economic news will be bad news for the... read more
- 06:22 Mark Robins hoping for this impact as Coventry City boss lauds star
- 06:20 Charlotte Johnson: Botanics pushes the boat out with shoreline...
- 06:21 World Bank recommends fewer regulations protecting workers
- 06:20 Brian Wilson: Racist Windrush scandal echoes Scots’ slave trade shame
- 06:20 Anton Muscatelli: Brexit talks should have this inevitable conclusion
- 06:20 Jim Duffy: The seven top signs you are getting old
- 06:20 Fancy dress runners urged to reconsider ahead of ‘hottest Marathon’...
- 06:18 Hartlepool knitters needed to help dementia patients
- 06:18 Two Royal Navy ship visits boost links with Hartlepool
- 06:18 What a scorcher - with the sun expected to continue today
- 06:18 Dad chased by security guard after stealing air fresheners worth £52
- 06:18 New owners for Hartlepool’s Stadium plant
- 06:18 Almost third of house fires were arson
- 06:18 Crackenedge’s double hopes are ended by Callaghan Cup defeat to...
- 06:18 Rangers held to draw by relegation rivals Medics
- 06:17 Tigger the sneaky cat won’t stop stealing children’s ball pit balls
- 06:14 Retro games arcade to open in Bullring
- 06:14 Awesome Chips opens in Birmingham city centre - and it doesn't sell...
- 06:14 Brave Amelia has leg reattached backwards - so she can dance again
- 06:14 Pupils could get every Friday afternoon off in timetable shake-up...
- 06:14 Christian Benteke sparks Aston Villa frenzy as claret and blue...
- 06:12 One dead after fire at London flats for adults with...
- 06:11 Chelsea star Gary Cahill sends defiant message to doubters after...
- 06:10 Chester council admits wrongly claiming potholes had been fixed
- 06:09 Sydney man who joined Syrian rebels says he did not fight and was...
- 06:05 Headshave to help send Rushden girl on dream holiday
- 06:05 PNE bid to take next step in Championship play-off race against...
- 06:05 Welingborough charity’s bid to increase its opening hours and help...
- 06:05 Supercar dream comes true for Wellingborough boy with brain injury
- 06:03 Liverpool news: Didier Drogba has classy Mohamed Salah message...