Wall St. propped up by tech stocks
Wall Street was higher for the first time in three days on Tuesday as a rise in technology stocks helped offset losses in energy shares.
Google parent Alphabet rose 0.7 percent after JPMorgan raised its price target on the stock, driving the S&P 500 technology index up 0.4 percent.
However, oil prices fell 2.8 percent to $46.05 as hopes for a deal to cut output faded. The S&P 500 energy index dropped 1.22 percent. [O/R]
With just six weeks until Election Day, some investors see a toss-up contest creating volatility in certain sectors, including health insurers, drugmakers and... read more
- 03:34 How to get published in an academic journal: top tips from editors
- 03:34 China angrily reacts with threats after South Korean missile...
- 03:33 Delay Brexit if no trade deal reached, say business leaders
- 03:31 China central bank says foreign firms able to repatriate profits...
- 03:31 Exclusive - China eyes 12 percent broad money supply rise in 2017:...
- 03:31 Southern train drivers strike after court rejects appeal
- 21:26 Simon Henig on why Durham County Council had no choice but to save...
- 19:18 Former fire service boss threw knife and dirty dishes at his...
- 18:49 Watch the moment FIVE clubbers pile into a Newcastle taxi in the...
- 17:28 Here's one Chinese man pleased that Toon boss Rafa Benitez isn't...
- 16:35 Thief who stole from pensioner's handbag left on the Metro...
- 16:35 Police investigate reports of man flashing at women in Walker area...
- 03:21 India launches record-breaking 104 satellites from single rocket
- 03:21 Firms urged to publish ethnic breakdown
- 03:20 Dear Sir, I'm sorry: letters of apology to former teachers
- 03:15 James O'Connor will not be offered new contract, says Toulon owner
- 03:07 Jonathan Gibbs: We must save rural life – but this school had to die
- 03:05 Prison officers to withdraw from riot duty in pay dispute
- 03:04 Review faults Washington police handling of inaugural protests
- 03:02 Roy Keane launches another dig at Jose Mourinho over his Manchester...
- 02:57 Nigel Farage aide defects to Tories claiming a mass exodus from Ukip
- 02:54 What happens in the brain when you learn a language?
- 02:49 Overwatch Season 4’s new hero has another big hint shared on Twitter
- 02:40 Top 10 state and national parks in Texas
- 02:35 Deportation of student halted hours before she was due to board plane
- 02:32 How statistics lost their power – and why we should fear what comes...
- 02:29 The 20 big questions in science
- 02:27 UK government surplus gives Philip Hammond pre-budget boost
- 02:24 Top 10 national parks in Arizona
- 02:19 Network Rail fined £4m after woman killed by train at foot crossing