Voluntary compensation plan to save NHS millions in birth damage court cases
The Government is to launch a voluntary compensation scheme for parents whose children are damaged at birth as figures show the cost of settling claims has reached more than half a billion pounds.
Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said he hopes to end the culture where going to court is an automatic "first step" and instead foster a culture of transparency so the NHS can learn from its mistakes.
Under the plans, parents who believe medical errors have caused severe damage to their children - such as cerebral palsy or brain damage - would be able to join a voluntary "rapid... read more
- 13:45 Question Time to visit Kettering
- 13:43 'In the naughty chair' Stoke City's Saido Berahino in the words of...
- 13:43 Cheeky guide dog keeps taking owner to pet store for treats
- 13:43 Fundraiser for Masterchef contestant who died in London Marathon...
- 13:42 UKIP says party is ‘not dead’ in Sunderland
- 13:41 Burglars cut through shutter to steal from Harrogate town centre shop
- 13:39 All creatures great and small are blessed at church service
- 13:39 Crash drink-driver fell over after she arrived at care home to...
- 13:39 Burglars cut through shutter to steal from Harrogate town centre shop
- 13:39 ‘Rich kid’ who swapped life with ‘skint’ family for TV show...
- 13:38 Sunderland’s Liebherr plant reveals how it’s preparing for Brexit
- 13:37 Child mauled in dog attack in Nuneaton
- 13:36 Where are you on the UK fat scale?
- 13:35 Hundreds of assaults on West Midlands Ambulance staff last year
- 13:35 New development in tragic Alfie Evans case after life support...
- 13:35 Music review: The Streets, O2 Academy, Glasgow
- 13:35 Everton v Lyon: Three charged over Goodison disturbance
- 13:35 Another High Court hearing on Alfie Evans set for TODAY as sick...
- 13:34 Hillary Clinton branded Donald Trump ‘disgusting’ in foul-mouthed rant
- 13:34 Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic learn first Barcelona Open opponents
- 13:34 Driver jailed after ‘repeatedly’ swearing at speed cameras
- 13:34 Burglars cut through shutter to steal from Harrogate town centre shop
- 13:33 Woman sentenced for leaving elderly mother in a chair for a year
- 13:31 Crash drink-driver fell over after she arrived at care home to...
- 13:31 Chelsea news: Conte to Arsenal claim, Blues in for Martial, Klopp...
- 13:30 BTS land two entries in top 100 greatest boyband songs
- 13:30 Leeds hospices’ 40 anniversaries: 40 fundraising ideas to pay...
- 13:30 Revealed: The films that captured Leeds on the big screen
- 13:30 Burglars cut through shutter to steal from Harrogate town centre shop
- 13:30 Woman found used condom ‘with dark hairs attached’ in her Tesco kale