Voluntary compensation plan to save NHS millions in birth damage court cases
The Government is to launch a voluntary compensation scheme for parents whose children are damaged at birth as figures show the cost of settling claims has reached more than half a billion pounds.
Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said he hopes to end the culture where going to court is an automatic "first step" and instead foster a culture of transparency so the NHS can learn from its mistakes.
Under the plans, parents who believe medical errors have caused severe damage to their children - such as cerebral palsy or brain damage - would be able to join a voluntary "rapid... read more
- 07:42 Man arrested in police operation outside prison in Doncaster
- 07:40 Thanks for fantastic cheese on toast, Ian
- 07:39 Live: Breaking news, weather and travel Monday November 20
- 07:38 Queen and Duke star in new portraits to mark 70th anniversary
- 07:35 Beaten, drugged and locked up in mental hospital
- 07:34 Man arrested in police operation outside prison in Doncaster
- 07:34 How to do a job badly
- 07:33 Toddler found in abandoned car after police chase in Rotherham
- 07:33 Double yellow lines
- 07:33 Hundreds of lost lives on roads every year
- 07:32 Warwickshire aiming to benefit from Coventry UK City of Culture bid
- 07:32 Volunteers plant 1,500 trees to help woodland grow
- 07:30 Tombola staff are all tuckered out for I’m a Celeb launch
- 07:28 Are these piles of slop the worst school meals ever made?
- 07:28 Happy anniversary, your Majesty! Queen releases official portraits...
- 07:28 Work starts on new £350,000 visitor centre which aims to create a...
- 07:26 The Weird, Wonderful Web
- 07:25 Burton Live: Breaking news, traffic and travel on Monday, November 20
- 07:25 Hartlepool boss keen to move on from Aldershot loss
- 07:24 Bella Hadid models underwear backstage as she gets ready for...
- 07:23 Brexit divorce bill: Theresa May to hold 'inner cabinet' talks
- 07:23 Serial killer Charles Manson dies aged 83 in hospital after falling...
- 07:22 Paedophile tried to get ‘father’ to sexually abuse his...
- 07:19 Manchester United transfer 'target' Willian could solve problem...
- 07:19 Man City battle Liverpool for German international and more...
- 07:14 Sunderland boxer Josh Kelly shows off his ‘Pretty Boy’ modelling...
- 07:14 Sunderland planning officers defended after claims of bullying over...
- 07:12 Black Friday deals may not be anywhere near as good as you think
- 07:10 How investment from the Northern Powerhouse means this firm has a...
- 07:10 Pramland is leaving Holderness Road after 67 years - but it isn't...