Virgin Care are boosting profits at the expense of patient safety, says Dewsbury MP
A Kirklees MP has lifted the lid on how a private health firm increased its income from the NHS.
Dewsbury MP Paula Sherriff has revealed that contractor Virgin Care imposed a system of unnecessary “double appointments” to boost the terms of its contract.
Ms Sherriff said Virgin was charging the NHS £100 for consultations it had introduced after taking over the NHS dermatology service in West Yorkshire.
The service had previously allowed patients to receive minor surgery immediately if that was clinically recommended.
The Labour MP worked for the service before becoming an MP in 2015.
She... read more
- 13:52 Scottish NHS failing to keep up with rising demand, says watchdog
- 13:52 Pope Francis accepts church leaders' invitation to visit South Sudan
- 13:52 Nissan investment shows Brexit can work - but what did we offer in...
- 13:51 Gnashing of teeth
- 13:51 What do the latest GDP data say about the post-Brexit economy?
- 13:51 Liverpool star Loris Karius takes swipe at Man Utd and City over...
- 13:51 Night-time alerts 'target impulse buys'
- 13:51 Feed your foodie in holiday heaven
- 13:51 Invasion of alien ladybirds riddled with STDs that could kill off...
- 13:51 Hamburg gang rape teenagers' suspended sentences spark anger
- 13:49 Scottish pensioner, 92, who’s taking on Donald Trump
- 13:47 English petition to kick Scotland out of UK hijacked by Scots
- 13:47 Two in court on alleged burglary and wounding rap
- 13:46 Bid to stop thieves targeting paving flags
- 13:46 Stags players present pupils with awards
- 13:46 Schoolgirl carer, 11, is 'amazing', says mum
- 13:46 Who's in I'm a Celebrity 2016? Line-up rumours include Sam...
- 13:45 Boss believes Toyota will not pull plug on Derbyshire factory...
- 13:45 New £130k science lab to open next month
- 13:45 Worker sold firm’s stock on eBay
- 13:45 Labour to investigate claims of anti-Semitism and entryism within...
- 13:44 North East Poppy Appeal is launched with a call to rethink remembrance
- 13:43 Black Cat Day: Adopt brothers Benedict and Basil who are in need of...
- 13:43 Hurst street stabbing: Boss says area is safe after pair injured...
- 13:42 Cancers survivors are TWICE as likely to be on antidepressants due...
- 13:42 Strong UK GDP data prompts global bond sell off on frets over...
- 13:42 Take a look at me now! Woman who had a FACE transplant after she...
- 13:42 King’s Cliffe author Nick has short story included in Twisted...
- 13:41 Chester King's School team to compete in world engineering finals
- 13:41 Twitter to cut HUNDREDS of jobs as workforce is slashed by 9%:...