Villagers run out of cash as banks are axed: Lack of ATMs mean residents are forced to travel miles to get money if machines are empty or break down
Towns and villages across the country are running out of cash as bank branches rapidly disappear from Britain’s high streets, according to a report.
Bank closures, insufficient numbers of ATMs – which can run out of cash – and faulty cash machines means many people in rural communities are forced to travel miles just to get some money out.
The report from the Federation of Small Businesses reveals the chaos caused by banks’ decision to abandon hundreds of communities after ditching a commitment to never close a branch if it was the last one in town.
It said many of its five million members... read more
- 08:14 New education trust chief aims for the top
- 08:14 Plans put forward for 825 homes and commercial development could...
- 08:13 Barack Obama ‘sent digital bombs to Russia as revenge for election...
- 08:13 Premier League squads: Every top flight team ranked by market value
- 08:13 Lions head coach Warren Gatland predicts New Zealand tactics for...
- 08:12 Arsenal focus on completing moves for Alexandre Lacazette and...
- 08:12 Wildfire training exercise is conducted
- 08:09 FARMING MATTERS: All hands on deck for sheep shearing
- 08:09 $esc.html($content.name)
- 08:09 Recognition for Park volunteers
- 08:09 Fun for festival-goers at the Allanton Inn
- 08:09 Landowners consulted on coastal path
- 08:08 Brexit business is booming, say four captains of industry
- 08:07 From the Metro Arena to Manchester - father-of-five's tribute to...
- 08:07 Wrongly jailed Nick Dunn's fight for freedom drags on as Chennai...
- 08:06 Bears’ success rewarded with GB call-ups
- 08:06 "Does this sound like a girl suffering from depression?" Sister's...
- 08:05 WATCH Endangered Bornean orang-utan is born at Twycross Zoo - and...
- 08:04 Young Rugby dancers win awards in prestigious festival
- 08:04 County councillor steps down from cabinet following ‘breach of...
- 08:01 Colombia conflict: ELN rebels free Dutch journalists
- 07:59 Lights, camera, action! Behind the scenes of a new cinema advert...
- 07:55 Spa pool at Huddersfield Leisure Centre may never reopen
- 07:54 Join Skegness school for 40th anniversary June Day Jaunt celebration
- 07:53 Arsenal transfer news LIVE updates: Lacazette latest, Mbappe hope,...
- 07:53 Travellers pitch up on Myton Fields again
- 07:50 Henry Onyekuru gets UK visa after Arsenal agree £6.8m transfer fee...
- 07:49 Former Coventry City defender Blair Adams joins Hartlepool United
- 07:49 Video 5 of 5: Heatwave a boost for Grantham Carnival
- 07:44 RMT announces three-day strike on Northern rail network