Villagers run out of cash as banks are axed: Lack of ATMs mean residents are forced to travel miles to get money if machines are empty or break down
Towns and villages across the country are running out of cash as bank branches rapidly disappear from Britain’s high streets, according to a report.
Bank closures, insufficient numbers of ATMs – which can run out of cash – and faulty cash machines means many people in rural communities are forced to travel miles just to get some money out.
The report from the Federation of Small Businesses reveals the chaos caused by banks’ decision to abandon hundreds of communities after ditching a commitment to never close a branch if it was the last one in town.
It said many of its five million members... read more
- 08:26 Stormzy-backed petition on Grenfell Tower set to be debated...
- 08:26 MPs back ‘Max’s Bill’ for organ donation opt-out system
- 08:26 MOT check - How to check when your car needs service and avoid...
- 08:24 Electrician who left taxi driver with fractures to his face in...
- 08:24 Why a man and his van are taking on North Tyneside Council over new...
- 08:24 Winter Olympics 2018: Watch what it's like to fly down a bobsleigh...
- 08:24 Bargains galore: These secret TK Maxx insider tips will help you...
- 08:24 Creative arts day for Wooler students
- 08:21 Selfless Barrow schoolgirl donates more than 30 meals to foodbank...
- 08:20 Work on Carlisle's railway station roof nears completion
- 08:19 Brexit will take its toll on bulk whisky buys
- 08:19 Chef’s Table: Martin Hollis of The Old Course St Andrews
- 08:20 Officers target Sheffield estates in problem parking drive
- 08:19 Ballathie House Hotel (42/50)
- 08:19 Food blog: Kat Riach
- 08:19 Sideboard with a story to tell
- 08:19 It’s never too late to learn some new cycling skills
- 08:19 From Halifax to the world - Shak became a wrestling star
- 08:18 Travel talk about long distance trek in the Alps
- 08:18 Pokemon Go Community Day SECRET revealed as fans prepare for...
- 08:17 Volunteers unravel a big issue for beaches
- 08:16 Shoppers in Leamington and Warwick encouraged to support ‘Fairtrade...
- 08:16 Head teacher appointed as national leader
- 08:16 Fence is just the ticket for museum
- 08:16 New additions to business forum group
- 08:16 P&G staff lend a hand at foodbank
- 08:16 Milestone reached at Percy Hedley
- 08:14 Roger Federer speaks out as he prepares to battle Rafael Nadal at...
- 08:13 Ant and Dec are hoping for an invite to the ‘night do’ of the...
- 08:13 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more