VIDEO: Vets warn dog owners about parasite on the rise as autumn begins
0 Have your say New figures have revealed that the parasite lungworm which targets dogs has been found in nearly every county in the UK.
Lungworm was first detected in South Wales and Cornwall in the late 1970s, but has now reached most of the UK.
A rise in warmer, wetter weather is believed to be partly to blame for the growth, as it has led to an increase in slugs and snails, which are the most common hosts of the lungworm parasite.
Vets are now offering advice to dog owners on how to best keep their dogs safe and protected from the parasite.
Dr Huw Stacey, director of clinical service at... read more
- 17:20 Blazing vehicles in Wallasey believed to have been targeted as part...
- 17:20 Sky prices to rise AGAIN in March - here's what's changing
- 17:20 Dermot O'Leary asked to replace Michael Buble as BRIT Awards host
- 17:20 Piers Morgan blasts 'coward' Ewan McGregor for Good Morning Britain...
- 17:20 Brummie sits for Portrait Artist of the Year - but can you guess...
- 17:19 HSBC to close northern Lincolnshire branch and 61 others nationwide
- 17:19 Police are investigating several incidents including break-ins and...
- 17:19 Carlisle United fans banned for violence at Hartlepool match
- 17:19 Dean Keates hails character shown by Wrexham AFC players in derby draw
- 17:18 Euro group chief warns Britain against tax haven temptation
- 17:17 Artist's 30 hour 'labour of love' to transform man's old tribal...
- 17:17 Off-duty police officer given medal for outstanding bravery after...
- 17:15 BREAKING: Skegness man jailed for murdering Boston mum of two
- 17:15 Appeal after man assaulted in Skegness alleyway
- 17:15 Sports Direct welcome jailing of people traffickers
- 17:15 Splendour Festival 2017 headliner will be announced on Friday
- 17:15 Web design agency which worked with US election host venue moves...
- 17:15 More than 2,000 homes plunged into darkness by power cut
- 17:13 HSBC to close northern Lincolnshire branch and 61 others nationwide
- 17:13 13-year-old suffers a head injury in hit and run
- 17:13 Chester Cathedral reveals winners of Christmas tree festival
- 17:13 Chester man wanted in connection with assault and theft
- 17:13 Thomas sets new Guinness World Record for longest time spinning a...
- 17:13 Council tax to rise in Derbyshire to bring in extra £11million
- 17:12 Aston Villa chairman hints at three players incoming - another is...
- 17:10 Newcastle Civic Centre is turning 50! Send us your photos of the...
- 17:10 David Charters: Pssst... have you heard, the word is out on our...
- 17:10 There's something wrong with Wirral's high streets - what would you...
- 17:10 Workers at Chile's Escondida call wage offer 'absurd,' strike looms
- 17:09 Angry pensioner lost the plot after Flintshire nursery school...