Victory! Five years after Money Mail told forklift driver David's story about mis-sold annuity, Prudential has finally paid up
A fork-lift driver who was deprived of a fifth of the pension he deserved has finally won compensation - five years after his complaint was fobbed off.
It is the first evidence that savers who were sold shoddy annuity deals are getting payouts when they complain.
In 2012, Money Mail featured the case of David Burnett, a lifelong 20-a-day smoker who was then 65.
David was among millions of people effectively forced to buy an annuity, which pays an income for life, before the pension freedoms were introduced in 2015.
His smoking habit meant he qualified for a higher annual income from his... read more
- 10:53 Please stop telling me I ‘don’t need’ to take my mental...
- 10:53 Sheffield schools win cash to tackle ‘reading slump’
- 10:53 Brothers attacked man in fracas at bar
- 10:51 Video looks inside Meghan and Harry’s Frogmore House reception
- 10:46 Youngsters raise more than £11,000 for charity and other...
- 10:46 ‘I don’t feel like an underdog’: Jürgen Klopp eager for Real...
- 10:42 'I’m scared to go outside after dark' - Residents speak after man...
- 10:42 Charity worker aims for record race in Two Castles Run
- 10:41 Hits of Adele to be recreated on the Lichfield Garrick stage
- 10:40 Katie flying flag for Corby in Miss Teen Galaxy finals
- 10:39 Ozell Pemberton murder: Second arrest after teen fatally stabbed in...
- 10:36 Josh Warrington takes IBF title from Lee Selby after pulsating...
- 10:36 Besiktas boss confirms Anderson Talisca's exit is imminent amid...
- 10:36 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho plots to rival Barcelona to sign ‘the...
- 10:33 Cuba plane crash company had ‘serious complaints’ before air...
- 10:32 Scots ‘increasingly likely’ to report suspected trafficking to police
- 10:29 Teen driver 'seriously ill' after Northallerton crash
- 10:29 Service for bereaved parents and families to take place at the...
- 10:28 Former Burton Sea Cadet commanding officer Trevor Brunce was always...
- 10:25 Real Madrid star Sergio Ramos reveals plan to stop Liverpool duo in...
- 10:25 Rangers boss Steven Gerrard to battle Aston Villa and Leeds for...
- 10:25 Man Utd news: Jose Mourinho ready to cough up £35m for La Liga star
- 10:24 Unattended food sparks Lake District flat fire
- 10:23 England v Pakistan can be the healthy distraction the ECB so craves
- 10:19 Alice Rawsthorn’s cultural highlights
- 10:18 Terror attack survivors urge public to fight terrorism
- 10:17 Police search rightful owner of stolen generator
- 10:14 UKIP 'should fold' if Brexit done right, says ex-Welsh leader
- 10:14 Fire service saves 516 pets
- 10:13 Out of control bonfire in Ilkeston