Victorian serial killer Mary Ann Cotton's possessions on display
Objects reputedly belonging to an infamous Victorian serial killer have gone on display.
Mary Ann Cotton, from West Auckland, County Durham, is widely believed to have killed three husbands, 10 children, a lover and her mother, collecting life insurance for each.
She was hanged in Durham Prison in 1873 for murdering her stepson with arsenic.
Beamish Museum is showing copies of her letters and a teapot in which Cotton is said to have brewed poisoned tea.
Some scenes from the ITV drama Dark Angel, based on the story of Cotton, were filmed at the museum last October.
Photographs of the... read more
- 10:55 An Edinburgh home that’s an oasis of tranquillity
- 10:54 Great news for Malt Kiln Farm Shop fans
- 10:54 Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola speaks out on Diego Costa crisis
- 10:53 Black cab and LandRover involved in dock road crash
- 10:52 Doncaster's Vulcan bomber to be put in storage, closed to public...
- 10:52 Overweight Nottinghamshire is becoming diabetic
- 10:52 Liverpool reject bid from Premier League rivals: This is why
- 10:51 Police operation to catch out shops serving alcohol to children in...
- 10:51 Transfer News LIVE: Arsenal done deal, Jesus joins Man City, Man...
- 10:50 Meet the mum who turned tragedy into helping other people
- 10:50 Nearly one in 10 secondary schools are under-performing - but...
- 10:48 VIDEO: Ovenden murder - residents speak of shock
- 10:48 Toddler died after being hit by mum’s car, inquest heard
- 10:48 County unveils plans for unitary authority
- 10:48 Wakefield secondary league tables in full: How does YOUR school rate?
- 10:48 Plan to demolish busy multi-storey car park
- 10:47 Did you see man assaulted in Chesterfield town centre?
- 10:47 Traffic stopped on M1 after serious collision
- 10:46 BHP Billiton and Vale set timeframe for Samarco mine claims
- 10:46 These are the 21 countries where Brit expats have the best lifestyle
- 10:46 Mainly dry but generally overcast
- 10:46 West Brom: All your transfer window questions answered
- 10:45 Newton Mearns showhome with international style
- 10:44 Diego Costa posts Instagram update after returning to Chelsea training
- 10:43 ‘Deja vu’ fears over Leeds trolleybus successor
- 10:43 Friends of dying Hull dad shave their heads for Dove House Hospice
- 10:43 GCSE league tables for Hull and East Riding: Every school ranked...
- 10:43 Hull City Council leader Steve Brady faces calls to resign over...
- 10:43 Beverley drink-driver Sarah Hodgson ran over Yorkshire Terrier in...
- 10:42 Theresa May says UK is ‘open for business’ after Brexit