Vestager says EU may review small but data-rich M&A deals
EU regulators are considering whether companies that gain access to valuable data via small M&A deals should seek approval for these acquisitions to ensure that they will not hurt competition, the EU's antitrust chief said on Thursday.
European Competition Commissioner Margrethe Vestager's comments come alongside an increasing focus by regulators globally on privacy and the possibility that some companies may buy data-rich rivals to lock in users and squeeze out competitors.
"A company might even buy up a rival just to get hold of its data, even though it hasn't yet managed to turn... read more
- 11:02 Only one former England international is managing in the Premier...
- 11:02 Campaign for action at crossroads near Carlisle where biker died
- 11:02 More PCSOs wanted in Cumbria
- 11:02 POLL: If the EU referendum was held again today, how would you vote?
- 11:01 Stephen Thompson: There are no Dundee United buyers on the horizon
- 11:01 Aviva eyes sale of Friends Provident unit for $500-$700 million:...
- 11:01 ‘More tests might have saved my Charlie’
- 11:00 POLL: If the EU referendum was held again today, how would you vote?
- 11:00 Witness appeal after Coventry City fan attacked by Bristol Rovers fan
- 11:00 I'm a grounds worker struggling with work at only 52 - why can't I...
- 11:00 Unpiloted, amphibious cargo drones the size of Boeing 777s could...
- 11:00 A devastating mega tsunami could hit tourists hotspots in Spain and...
- 10:59 Dog who lost ears in fire finds comfort in an earless Hello Kitty toy
- 10:59 Barcelona 'casting' in Paris... Catalan giants will watch France...
- 10:59 Poll reveals the top 10 forwards in Europe - Luis Suarez misses out!
- 10:59 The verdict is in: Ketchup should be stored in the fridge
- 10:58 Move to take down Union flag amid ‘eyesore’ complaints
- 10:58 Gig announcement: KT Tunstall to play South Tyneside Summer Festival
- 10:58 Over one million UK homeowners on wrong mortgage deal
- 10:57 Woodsmith Mine project on schedule
- 10:57 Rise in pupils taking term-time holidays in Doncaster
- 10:56 Bus shelters smashed by vandals in wrecking spree in Sheffield suburb
- 10:56 Rise in pupils taking term-time holidays in Doncaster
- 10:55 Italy one step closer to QUITTING eurozone as Five Star Movement...
- 10:55 Transfer News: Real Madrid make Chelsea decision, Man United star...
- 10:55 Australian government fails to ratify extradition treaty with China
- 10:55 Man Utd crisis: Jose Mourinho could be without SEVEN for West Brom...
- 10:55 Democrats try to block Donald Trump's US Supreme Court nominee Neil...
- 10:55 Amazon to buy Middle East online retailer Souq
- 10:55 Heartbroken pregnant woman to arrange for family pet's destruction