'Very likely post-Brexit EU agreement would need Parliamentary ratification'
Any new treaty agreement with the European Union following Brexit would "very likely" have to be ratified by Parliament, the High Court has heard.
A Government QC said the "view at the moment" was that ratification was likely if the royal prerogative was used to launch the Brexit process.
James Eadie QC was defending Theresa May's decision to rely on historic prerogative powers to trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty to leave the EU - without the prior authorisation of Parliament.
The Prime Minister's decision is under attack in a historic legal challenge launched by... read more
- 10:23 Here’s a list of ways in which men can actually help women
- 10:23 What police say about officers' Hull Fair dodgem fun
- 10:23 Paralysed bride to be hits out at health bosses after care package...
- 10:21 Isle Lifestylers making waves for charity
- 10:21 Man tries to kill spiders with blow torch – ends up burning his...
- 10:21 Pokemon Go Halloween event 2017 news: Fresh LEAK confirms fans'...
- 10:21 Three North East sports stars to talk at special charity night
- 10:20 Oddfellows events put spotlight on friendship
- 10:20 Derby County defender Max Lowe 'buzzing' after return to action...
- 10:20 New book chronicles glamour of Derby Gaumont cinema pop gigs in the...
- 10:19 EastEnders' Stacey in intensive care after giving birth
- 10:19 David James explains how a drunken day out at the races got him a...
- 10:19 Listen: West Brom boss Tony Pulis on Nacer Chadli's display and his...
- 10:19 Wolves ready to complete permanent deal for loanee in January -...
- 10:19 Ophelia could leave homes in Cumbria without power until 4.30pm today
- 10:19 Oddfellows events put spotlight on friendship
- 10:19 £600m Lloyds banking takeover trial set to begin
- 10:19 Man Utd news: Richard Keys makes bold Romelu Lukaku and Paul Pogba...
- 10:17 Tesla Model 3 NEWS - Here is why the new electric car production is...
- 10:17 Top comedian at arts centre
- 10:16 Win tickets to Dayinsure Wales Rally GB 2017
- 10:16 Preston’s newest coffee shop promises to offer top quality coffee...
- 10:16 Southampton midfielder Oriol Romeu admits frustration after draw...
- 10:16 Tottenham 'value Harry Kane at more than £200' amid interest from...
- 10:15 P&O Ferries posts record Q3 for lorries across the Irish Sea
- 10:15 Donald Trump is a danger to world peace, says Emily Thornberry
- 10:15 North Korea says 'a nuclear war may break out any moment'
- 10:15 Dominos Pizza sex couple to be sentenced for outraging public decency
- 10:15 Tories 'would have won Commons majority under boundary changes'
- 10:15 Killer storm Ophelia to bring further disruption to UK TODAY