Venezuela creates Hugo Chavez peace prize, awards to Russia's Putin
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Friday announced the creation of peace prize in honour of late socialist leader Hugo Chavez, and said he was awarding it to Russian President Vladimir Putin.
The announcement comes on the same day that the Nobel Committee awarded its annual Peace Prize to Juan Manuel Santos, president of neighbouring Colombia, for his role in negotiating a peace agreement with Marxist FARC rebels.
"I've decided to create the Hugo Chavez prize for peace and the sovereignty," Maduro said during a televised broadcast to unveil a statue of Chavez designed by a... read more
- 08:23 Protest being organised over the Ashington Hole
- 08:23 Tea party for guide dogs charity in Skegness
- 08:21 The ultimate INSIDER guide to New York: From sensational...
- 08:19 Driver of car that overturned on the M6 arrested for suspected...
- 08:19 Delays after van fire on the M6
- 08:19 Pupils’ special lesson from global business
- 08:17 Three abandoned fox cubs adopted by farmer's dog
- 08:16 Protest being organised over the Ashington Hole
- 08:13 FARMING MATTERS: Lambing in full flow with lots of singles
- 08:12 Women lead the way in Cumbria - county authority votes in all...
- 08:09 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang sends tribute to departing Arsenal...
- 08:04 These 10 artists prove autism is no barrier to creativity
- 08:04 Events at the castle to celebrate St George's Day
- 08:03 Women lead the way in Cumbria - county authority votes in all...
- 08:03 Recycling changes for South Lakeland
- 08:02 Celebrating in true Stratford style
- 08:02 Departing Poulson has no intention of returning to football management
- 08:02 Duncan Slater: So proud to be part of the RAF story
- 08:02 Kevin Ogilvie: So proud to be part of the RAF story
- 08:00 Grantham Journal column: I urged Prime Minister to attack Syria
- 08:00 Oxford’s efforts can’t save Shipston from defeat
- 07:58 Elena Ferrante: ‘God didn’t make a good impression on my teenage self’
- 07:58 Queen Elizabeth II: Did you know these 20 unusual facts about our...
- 07:58 Brews with benefits: the health-boosting perks of a good cuppa
- 07:56 Tom Richmond: Theresa May’s leadership on Syria leaves Jeremy...
- 07:53 Sunderland boss Chris Coleman reveals first details of his...
- 07:52 Perthshire Classic Car Show
- 07:52 Dundee band hope Courier readers can help them solve 1960s cine...
- 07:47 Queen Elizabeth II: Did you know these 20 unusual facts about our...
- 07:47 Brews with benefits: the health-boosting perks of a good cuppa