Van Gogh paintings stolen 14 years ago by Mafia recovered by Italian police
The Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam said the paintings had been removed from their frames but appear to have suffered only slight damage.
It was not immediately clear when they would be returned to the museum, which is the largest repository of Van Gogh's work.
The paintings, "Congregation Leaving the Reformed Church in Nuenen" (1884/5) and "View of the Sea at Scheveningen" (1882), are both from relatively early in Van Gogh's short, tempestuous career.
Italian financial police seized "assets worth tens of millions of euros from a Camorra group involved in international... read more
- 10:13 Liverpool and Chelsea both keen on Serie A star: Goal-scoring...
- 10:13 Man critical after attack in Northumberland town
- 10:13 Would you know what to do if you found a burglar in your home?
- 10:13 Superstar Anthony Joshua calls out Tyson Fury after stopping...
- 10:12 Election success would entitle SNP to hold IndyRef2, poll finds
- 10:10 Britain to bask in glorious sunshine after Bank Holiday wash out
- 10:10 Antonio Conte hails Chelsea’s Diego Costa as the ‘best striker in...
- 10:09 Who starred for Hull City in hard-fought draw at Southampton?
- 10:09 This star is Manchester United's player of the year - Gary Neville
- 10:09 Police concerned for safety of missing teenager Tommy-Lee Jeffrey
- 10:09 Castleford 54 Wigan 4: Michael Shenton shines for Tigers
- 10:08 Taxi driver charged in connection with horror crash in Edinburgh's...
- 10:07 There's a picture of Barry Chuckle and Jay Z watching Joshua vs...
- 10:06 Named and shamed: Who's been in Derbyshire's courts?
- 10:06 Police appeal for witnesses after attack
- 10:05 BBC Children In Need supports key Cumbrian project
- 10:04 Pilot hurt in gyrocopter crash on the edge of Cumbria
- 10:02 What should you do if you think your neighbours are smoking cannabis?
- 10:01 'Two men unconscious' in mass brawl with weapons in Cleethorpes
- 09:59 Teacher says sorry I kicked pupil up the backside - but "it worked"
- 09:59 You had one job! Comical photos from around the world capture what...
- 09:59 General Election build-up LIVE: Sunday politics updates including...
- 09:58 Chelsea to offer star man £150,000-a-week deal: He could be at...
- 09:58 Kate and Gerry McCann will do "whatever it takes for as long as it...
- 09:57 Organiser, Oracle, Elephant, Maverick, or Steady Eddie ... which...
- 09:57 Five things which newcomers to Derby just won't get at first
- 09:56 The church column with Rev David Everett
- 09:56 Super date for Jim Jones’ latest manifestation
- 09:54 Locked up in April: A look back at the criminals jailed in the city
- 09:53 Mystery of carving on wall at castle prison