US Zika funding shortfall will impede cancer research, health officials say
Senior public health officials said Congress’s months-late $800m-short Zika funding bill will seriously damage research budgets for heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
Officials with the federal Health and Human Services Administration called on Congress to consider an emergency health fund for future emerging diseases, similar to the way natural disasters are funded.
“We had to use money we were going to spend within our own institute on malaria and tuberculosis,” said Dr Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Fauci has headed up the... read more
- 08:09 Chinese investors linked with £10bn Moorside nuclear plant
- 08:09 Time to capitalise on digital disruption
- 08:09 Fintech deals are providing global answers
- 08:08 Labour campaign visit to the region postponed in light of...
- 08:08 Golden State Warriors 129-115 San Antonio Spurs: Steph Curry scores...
- 08:08 LIVE BLOG: 22 dead after terror attack at Manchester Arena concert
- 08:08 Muslim organisations in Leicester condemn Manchester Arena terror...
- 08:08 MANCHESTER BOMBING: Latest police statement in full
- 08:08 Delays as some trains from Leeds are diverted after suspected...
- 08:08 MANCHESTER BOMBING: Everything we know so far
- 08:07 City named as tourism hotspot for European travellers
- 08:07 Yorkshire child sex abuse scandals ‘help raise awareness’
- 08:07 Rumour mill: Former Coventry City midfielder Gary Deegan no longer...
- 08:06 WEATHER: Wave of warm weather to bring highest temperatures since...
- 08:05 Watch: James Corden's powerful tribute after terrorist suicide attack
- 08:05 Students take centre stage at Chelsea Flower Show
- 08:05 Cumbria-based building society adds fingerprint recognition to app
- 08:05 Meet new boss of Barrow-based building society
- 08:05 Children's health at risk following school nurse cuts, officials claim
- 08:05 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun trivia
- 08:05 Barrow skate park on track with new development
- 08:04 Woman taken to hospital after police called to 'stabbing'
- 08:04 Ariana Grande speaks out over Manchester terror attack: 'I am so,...
- 08:04 Emmerdale star Isabel Hodgins tells of terrifying Manchester Arena...
- 08:03 Blackpool man jailed after drugs ring smashed
- 08:03 Google's AlphaGo takes on Chinese Go master in best of three matches
- 08:03 Victoria Coach station evacuated following reports of...
- 08:03 Suspected terrorist attack in Manchester Arena at Ariana Grande...
- 08:03 Floating market at Willington's Merica Marina proves a 'huge...
- 08:03 People are desperately trying to locate their loved ones after...