US STOCKS-Drug stocks pull Wall St lower; jobs report in focus
* Weekly jobless claims fall to 249,000 vs. est. 257,000
* Dollar index surges to 11-week high
* Wal-Mart biggest drag on S&P 500, Dow
* Indexes down: Dow 0.45 pct, S&P 0.25 pct, Nasdaq 0.37 pct (Adds details, comments updates prices)
By Yashaswini Swamynathan
Oct 6 Drug stocks dragged Wall Street lower on Thursday, while investors anxiously awaited a crucial jobs report that would help set the tone for interest rate hikes in the coming months.
A growing number of Fed officials have argued for higher rates as the labor market remains robust and inflation inches towards the central... read more
- 12:50 Proud West Notts College hailed as champion of LGBT diversity
- 12:49 Engineers called out after residents left without gas in Oundle
- 12:49 Which feathered friends are visiting your garden?
- 12:49 Controversial Butterley Spillway scheme up for regional award
- 12:49 Sir Patrick Stewart to voice the poo in the Emoji Movie
- 12:48 Afghan journalists face more threats as violence spreads
- 12:48 French Left seeks candidate to take election poisoned chalice
- 12:47 Gangland figure Ross Monaghan was wearing bulletproof vest when he...
- 12:47 Cricketers are bowled over by success across the board
- 12:46 Carlisle man admits £37,000 benefits fraud
- 12:46 UPDATE: Woman bailed in Leonne Weeks murder enquiry
- 12:46 14 stunning windows that give the best views of Liverpool
- 12:45 Vulcan bomber mothballed and staff laid off as cash crisis bites
- 12:44 Angel sculpture takes shape as 40 police forces donate knife...
- 12:44 Warning over threat to pushchairs from train slipstreams
- 12:44 Letter: Donald Trump could be a success
- 12:44 Former red arrows pilot announced as leader of Northamptonshire...
- 12:44 Three men charged after night time break in at convenience store
- 12:44 Tipping trailer stolen overnight from Northampton
- 12:43 Telegraph Voices: Special debate on Sheffield’s Roma community
- 12:43 We need a plan
- 12:43 The Big Challenge: Looking for a new perspective
- 12:43 Air ambulance in need of volunteers
- 12:42 Leicester mayor Peter Soulsby faces standards complaint
- 12:42 REVEALED: Lancashire school performance tables 2017
- 12:42 Limited rotation is name of Wasps game for European pool finale
- 12:41 Scammers are dyeing tuna pink and selling it as fresh fish
- 12:41 Farewell to Aston Villa's Ted Small: From emergency plumber to...
- 12:41 Borough youth invited to get on board with Solihull Station
- 12:41 Bookies think Peaky Blinders can't win at the National Television...