US start-up Geofeedia 'allowed police to track protesters'
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram have revoked access to their data to an analytics firm accused of selling information that allowed US police to track activists and protesters.
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said Chicago-based Geofeedia had allowed police to "sneak in through a side door" to monitor protests.
Geofeedia said it was committed to the principles of personal privacy.
It comes amid growing concern about government access to social media.
ACLU said Geofeedia had been marketing its services to police agencies to help track activists using location data and... read more
- 02:06 New Edinburgh Gateway interchange opens in capital
- 01:53 Hong Kong holds election for panel to pick next leader
- 01:51 Owen Farrell ready captain England if Dylan Hartley is banned, says...
- 01:49 Katie Taylor outclasses Viviane Obenauf to claim second...
- 01:42 How Judaism's definition of death can boost organ donations
- 01:35 Dillian Whyte beats Dereck Chisora: The build-up was pantomime but...
- 01:35 Anthony Joshua to take on Wladimir Klitschko at Wembley in April...
- 01:34 Louis Tomlinson: X Factor song harder than I ever imagined
- 01:31 Finding micrometeorites in city gutters
- 01:30 Joe Joyce: This is when I want to go professional
- 01:19 How many famous female hairdressers can you name?
- 01:18 Romania elects new parliament, leftists ahead in polls
- 01:18 Ghana's next leader under pressure to deliver for impatient voters
- 01:13 Did Clinton win more votes than any white man in history?
- 01:06 Wladimir Klitschko sits next to Barry Hearn as Memphis Depay and...
- 01:03 Alvaro Arbeloa insists he has no regrets despite poor start to life...
- 01:03 Ander Herrera expects Manchester United's 'luck' to change in the...
- 01:03 Bayern Munich players celebrate at their Christmas party... having...
- 01:03 British athletes likely to gain from rewriting of Olympic and track...
- 00:59 Turkmenistan: The regime that throws cigarettes on bonfires
- 00:49 Anthony Joshua ends 2016 in perfect fashion with gladiator knockout...
- 00:42 How chemotherapy-busting cooling cap that chills the users scalp...
- 00:41 BREAKING: 60 dead after roof of church collapses in Nigeria
- 00:41 Debenhams, Talking Tables and West Elm: The best stocking designs
- 00:41 Cath Kidston, Next and Paperchase: The best festive wrapping papers...
- 00:41 In the closet with Great British Bake Off star Paul Hollywood's...
- 00:41 Asos, New Look and Kurt Geiger: The best shiny party dresses
- 00:41 Ted Baker, New Look and Reiss: The best accessories for him
- 00:40 Oduba quicksteps to top of Strictly leaderboard
- 00:40 Saara Aalto nears Finnish line in X Factor