US start-up Geofeedia 'allowed police to track protesters'
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram have revoked access to their data to an analytics firm accused of selling information that allowed US police to track activists and protesters.
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said Chicago-based Geofeedia had allowed police to "sneak in through a side door" to monitor protests.
Geofeedia said it was committed to the principles of personal privacy.
It comes amid growing concern about government access to social media.
ACLU said Geofeedia had been marketing its services to police agencies to help track activists using location data and... read more
- 20:33 Photographer's dilemma after spotting something incredible as bride...
- 20:32 Impressive Victoria Azarenka sets up Madison Keys clash as Katie...
- 20:31 These are the best Premier Fantasy League team names
- 20:31 Manchester United 'plot ambitious £50m summer move' as Jose...
- 20:24 Morning mail: Labor and Coalition under privacy pressure
- 20:24 Peru president Pedro Pablo Kuczynski resigns amid corruption scandal
- 20:22 Mark Zuckerberg admits ‘mistakes’ over protecting Facebook users
- 20:16 Boris Johnson compares Russia's World Cup to Nazi Olympics amid...
- 20:13 Mark Zuckerberg admits Facebook made mistakes after data...
- 20:13 Manchester United prepare £40m bid for Raphael Varane to solve...
- 20:10 How do companies use my loyalty card data?
- 20:10 Liverpool star Emre Can explains Bayern Munich transfer decision...
- 20:10 Shoreham air crash: Pilot Andy Hill to be charged over deaths
- 20:09 Burton man in a critical condition after A38 crash near Fradley
- 20:05 Prepare for more extreme weather: Storms like the 'Beast from the...
- 20:05 Thought deleting your Facebook was enough? Firm and its advertisers...
- 20:02 Bargain Booze owner Conviviality must raise £125m to halt bankruptcy
- 19:58 Council gets tough on Priory Square
- 19:55 Liverpool legend Phil Thompson makes ‘pushover’ claim about Mohamed...
- 19:54 Memorial to victims of London terror attacks on anniversary
- 19:54 May told to fix fishing plans or rebels will sink Brexit deal
- 19:53 Son of former Coventry City star opens up about his grief following...
- 19:53 'Dead certs' - Experts covering Coventry City's promotion rivals...
- 19:52 Genetic profiling could breed cattle resistant to tuberculosis
- 19:51 Boris likens Russia World Cup to Hitler's Berlin Olympics
- 19:49 Long haul operator to land at Doncaster Sheffield Airport
- 19:48 'We made mistakes' - Facebook's Zuckerberg
- 19:46 Scammers target Cumbria homeowners
- 19:44 Scammers target Cumbria homeowners
- 19:42 Indoor bouldering wall to open in Ellesmere Port this summer