US shutdown begins as Senate fails to pass new budget
The US government has begun a federal shutdown after the Senate failed to agree on a new budget.
It was unclear which way the vote would go as the midnight deadline approached, with Republicans and Democrats split on key issues.
Despite last minute bipartisan meetings, the bill to fund the government until 16 February did not receive the required 60 votes.
It means many government services will close down until a budget is agreed.
It is the first shutdown in US history to happen while the same party controls both chambers of Congress and the White House.
The last US shutdown happened in... read more
- 09:20 Vet’s pole dancing routine with her dog deemed too racy for local...
- 09:19 Fox and Hounds back open as a pub after 13 years
- 09:19 Goldsborough’s Fox and Hounds back open as country pub
- 09:18 Maurizio Sarri’s representative breaks silence on ‘offer’ from Chelsea
- 09:18 Fun Run: Lancashire charity helping bereaved parents raises £8,000
- 09:17 Renew says work on Palace of Westminster is progressing well
- 09:16 Dog becomes adopted parent to nine ducklings
- 09:15 Gianluigi Donnarumma to Liverpool: ‘£35m plus player’ bid lined up...
- 09:15 Unai Emery: New Arsenal manager branded Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho...
- 09:12 Lane blockage and double lorry smash on motorway
- 09:12 Trekkers have a mountain to climb to help children's hospice charity
- 09:12 Home affairs boss accused of 'cover up' in Peter Dutton au pair case
- 09:11 Body found in search for missing Doncaster man
- 09:10 St Mary’s Church hosting children’s workshop during Warwick Festival
- 09:10 Why is the bee a symbol of Manchester?
- 09:10 Departing Kenilworth mayor presents cheques to charities
- 09:09 Harry Kane confirmed as England’s captain for the World Cup
- 09:08 Tesco to remove 'confusing' best-before labels from fruit and...
- 09:07 Princess Beatrice looks surprised among floral-printed bouncers
- 09:07 Peaky Blinders writer reveals the Birmingham City star he'd most...
- 09:07 Where you’re from will determine what university course you’re...
- 09:07 Tollbar CEO: ‘East Lindsey should congratulate us for investing in...
- 09:07 Liverpool news: Daniel Sturridge responds to reported fall out with...
- 09:07 Shares jump on report China could scrap birth limits
- 09:05 Louth CC: First XI beaten at Woodhall Spa
- 09:04 Police hunt driver after 'hit-and-run' in Preston
- 09:04 Government wants to open mystery fund set up in 1928 to help tackle...
- 09:04 WATCH: Rio Ferdinand says England have 'no chance' of winning the...
- 09:04 Ducks filmed waiting at traffic lights for man to turn green
- 09:03 FTSE LIVE: Shares push on to another record high as positive Spring...