US police shooting: Alfred Olango 'pointed object'
Police in California say they shot dead a Ugandan refugee because he pulled an object from his pocket, pointed it and assumed a "shooting stance".
Dozens of demonstrators have taken to the streets of El Cajon, a suburb of San Diego, to protest at the killing of Alfred Olango.
Mr Olango, who was reportedly in his 30s, was killed on Tuesday after officers responded to a call from his sister who said that he was mentally ill and needed help.
Police gave no details about the object he was holding but acknowledged that it was not a weapon.
El Cajon police chief Jeff Davis said Mr... read more
- 21:43 British and Irish Lions can win the first Test if they follow my...
- 21:43 How to train and eat like a Lion (... it's a far cry from the 1977...
- 21:43 England U21s 3-0 Poland U21s: Demarai Gray stuns hosts with rocket...
- 21:43 Brazil's top court rules it can reject graft probe plea bargains
- 21:42 Town fans thank Examiner after car parking fines are cancelled
- 21:42 Arsenal prepare new bid to seal world record Kylian Mbappe transfer
- 21:40 Transfer rumour: West Brom and Hull 'have Egypt international watched'
- 21:38 Theresa May reveals whether EU nationals will be allowed to stay in...
- 21:38 Leader comment: Brexit denial is more malady than melody
- 21:38 Checks find combustible cladding on seven tower blocks
- 21:37 Tom Cruise sex shock: He 'juggled Bible study and bl** jobs' on set...
- 21:34 Police appeal for dash-cam footage after reported sex attack in Wirral
- 21:32 Jaylen Brown Exclusive: Boston Celtics fans will be excited about...
- 21:32 Alexis Sanchez will decide Arsenal future after 'break' - Lee Dixon
- 21:32 Mohamed Salah: Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp hails second summer signing
- 21:32 Roger Federer looking forward to Wimbledon showdown to challenge...
- 21:32 Liverpool confirm Roberto Firmino as new number nine: Club offers...
- 21:32 Rory McIlroy disappointed with missed putts but feeling optimistic...
- 21:31 Fears cliff may collapse a third time after giant crack appears...
- 21:31 Plans to close two Derby city centre car parks concerns drivers -...
- 21:27 Mohamed Salah to wear No.11 at Liverpool after completing £39m...
- 21:27 I’ll give county a determined and loud voice
- 21:27 Passengers face three more days of misery after new rail strike is...
- 21:25 Global stocks advance on modest oil bounce
- 21:25 U.S. voices concern about violence against monitors in east Ukraine
- 21:24 Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp delighted with Mohamed Salah transfer
- 21:22 Done Deal: Liverpool complete Mohamed Salah transfer
- 21:22 Tail docking row: could it cost Nicola Sturgeon votes?
- 21:22 What can the SNP teach Theresa May about minority government?
- 21:22 May offers EU nationals the right to stay after Brexit