US death penalty: Number of Americans who support execution falls below 50% for the first time
The number of Americans who support the death penalty has fallen below half for the first time, according to a US study.
The Pew Research Center, which looks at social issues, found that belief in capital punishment was at its lowest for over four decades.
Only about half of Americans (49%) now favour execution for inmates convicted of murder, while 42% oppose it.
Support has dropped by 7% since March 2015, from 56%.
There has been a sizeable slump in public approval for state executions, which peaked during the mid-1990s.
In 1994, eight out of 10 Americans backed the death penalty, and... read more
- 09:28 Nissan announcement is ‘fantastic’, say suppliers
- 09:28 Hospital search for family or friends of woman, 55, who died there...
- 09:28 Hong Kong stocks at 2-month low on U.S. rate hike prospects
- 09:26 Arsenal injury blow: Arsene Wenger confirms Gunners star ruled out...
- 09:24 Expiry date for cash earmarked for new Castle Way crossing in Carlisle
- 09:24 Police visit nail bars, car washes and takeaways in anti-slavery week
- 09:24 Unsafe railway bridge needs to be demolished, says Network Rail
- 09:24 The Bay Gateway: Exclusive preview of the new road
- 09:24 Attack victim Ben is out of coma and talking to family
- 09:23 Wales Rally GB in Chester: Everything you need to know
- 09:23 Smail Ayad charged in Australia with second British backpacker murder
- 09:23 Chris Tarrant: Since I had a stroke I've been taking a lot more...
- 09:22 Historic Warwick sites recognised as being ‘at risk’
- 09:21 Junior Football: Free-scoring Gartcairn keep Junior Cup dream alive
- 09:20 Nissan announcement is ‘fantastic’, say suppliers
- 09:20 Mental health services must improve at 127 NHS groups, figures show
- 09:19 Care home near Market Drayton is told to improve standards
- 09:18 Liverpool had to steal Trent Alexander-Arnold away from...
- 09:18 Guards hurt in robbery at bank
- 09:17 National Sperm Bank in Birmingham forced to stop recruiting new donors
- 09:16 Local history: Buried alive? Past Calderdale funeral customs
- 09:15 Imitation gun pointed at woman
- 09:14 Tamim Iqbal and Mominul Haque leave Bangladesh in control at lunch
- 09:14 AUDIO: Heartbreaking 999 call from terrified elderly woman...
- 09:14 IAG cuts 2016 forecast on sterling weakness
- 09:14 Flight of financial activity from UK likely in 'hard Brexit' -...
- 09:14 Daryl Powell commits future to Castleford
- 09:14 British Cycling asked to explain TUEs at select committee hearing
- 09:14 Chelsea ace receives surprise praise from Premier League captain:...
- 09:14 Premier League referees: Which official does your side win the most...