US band The Slants sues so it can trademark 'offensive' name
An Oregon band's bid for the right to trademark their "offensive" name has reached the US Supreme Court.
The case was brought to the Supreme Court by The Slants after their trademark was refused because the name is disparaging to Asian-Americans.
The Asian-American band acknowledges the name may offend, but say they chose it to "reappropriate" its meaning.
The ruling could impact the high-profile case of the American football team, the Washington Redskins.
In 2014 the US Patent and Trademark Office cancelled the team's six trademarks, including the lucrative team logo,... read more
- 17:44 Sex visits for prisoners is the ‘Christian thing to do’ says...
- 17:44 Yesterday's youth celebrates the start of Maryport Blues Festival
- 17:42 Barack Obama watches Manchester United take on Barcelona on US Tour...
- 17:42 Air ambulance called to A52 after crash involving car and lorry
- 17:40 This pet owner found something DISGUSTING in her puppy's food
- 17:40 Traffic delays in Chester due to accident on Parkgate Road
- 17:39 Large traveller camp EVICTED from site in Ellesmere Port
- 17:39 Did Marcus Rashford nab Neymar’s last ever Barcelona shirt before...
- 17:39 Do YOU travel on the WORST train journey in Britain? This service...
- 17:39 Porsche to recall 22,000 cars over emissions software
- 17:38 BREAKING: Poland to IGNORE Brussels and go ahead with judicial...
- 17:38 Around 60% of Brexit voters think gay sex is unnatural
- 17:38 Britain’s youngest homeless campaigner is a lesson to us all
- 17:37 Gelt Gladiator boss sentenced after competitors seriously hurt
- 17:35 Emmerdale fans are in despair over Rhona's rape trial outcome
- 17:36 Theresa May’s chief speechwriter Chris Wilkins has quit
- 17:35 Love Island's Marcel pens book deal - what you need to know
- 17:35 Doctors actress shares heartbreak as she spends final hours with...
- 17:35 West Brom boss Tony Pulis explains Dave Kemp's pre-season absence
- 17:35 'Outrageous' Mick McCarthy offers typically blunt response to...
- 17:35 Emil Forsberg addresses future amid Man Utd interest: I'm focused...
- 17:35 Usain Bolt net worth: How much is the sprinter worth?
- 17:34 Hucknall men speak out after Spanish court appearance over hen...
- 17:34 Probe launched at Great Yarmouth Racecourse as horse thought to be...
- 17:33 Cumbrian councillors back north of England transport project
- 17:33 Motorcyclist suffered multiple injuries in A16 crash
- 17:32 Clashes between Israeli police and Palestinians at Jerusalem holy...
- 17:31 Customers are happier with train services than they were last year
- 17:30 What do Wrexham AFC need to become challengers?
- 17:30 Couple openly dealt cannabis in front of their young children