Urgent probe needed into gorilla escape at London Zoo says wildlife group
A large silverback gorilla which escaped from its enclosure at London Zoo "could have ended very differently" and must be subject to an urgent inquiry, a leading wildlife group has said.
The Born Free Foundation said the incident was a "startling reminder" of the risks of keeping dangerous wild animals in captivity.
Visitors to the popular attraction described fearing for their safety as they were ordered to take cover in buildings when the 29st dominant male ape got out of its den on Thursday evening.
Armed police were deployed at the central London zoo as keepers... read more
- 09:53 Cumbria warned to prepare for icy winter weather from next month
- 09:52 Gin prices will increase to painful levels if inflation rises 3%
- 09:50 Waiter knocks thumb off Roman sculpture at British Museum
- 09:50 Man charged with firearms offence after special police operation in...
- 09:50 The Great British Bake Off reaches record audience
- 09:50 WATCH: Erosion has led to fish-pass problems
- 09:50 Bamburgh WI, Meeting
- 09:49 India detains Pakistani diplomat at Delhi Zoo for 'spying'
- 09:49 Support for South Korea's Park slides to all-time low amid crisis...
- 09:49 More shops opening in Leicester than closing down
- 09:49 Brexit fails to knock Shoe Zone
- 09:48 East Midlands Airport flights could be hit by strikes today
- 09:48 Chemistry department rebirth is now completed
- 09:46 Russia tests prototype nuclear warhead for Satan II which could...
- 09:46 The UK economy has grown since Brexit
- 09:46 Saints skipper Wood earns England recall
- 09:45 Hockey: Burton hit back to claim first victory of campaign
- 09:45 Find the row with empty seats and buy a VIP lounge pass for £20:...
- 09:45 Hockey: Defeat for brave Barton in top-of-table thriller
- 09:45 Barclays joins Lloyds in the PPI doghouse as the lender dishes out...
- 09:45 Toys R Us will offer a quiet shopping hour to help children with...
- 09:45 Hockey: Taylor nets four times in Burton Ladies' win
- 09:45 Manchester United fans forced to backtrack as Mourinho lauds...
- 09:45 Tranquil retreat at risk from new estate
- 09:45 DATA: Aston Villa's TV times
- 09:44 Criticism of autism services for children in Cumbria
- 09:43 Asia shares extend losses, dollar firms but off highs
- 09:43 New Calais 'Jungle' arrivals cannot use resettlement scheme - prefect
- 09:43 South Tyneside veteran’s children receive top award
- 09:43 Youngsters dig in to planting