UPDATED: London’s top flight index crashes into the red
London’s top-flight index has joined global markets by crashing into the red over fears that rising inflation could force central banks to increase interest rates.
The FTSE 100 Index sank by more than 2.5 per cent - hitting its lowest level since late 2016 at 7,079.41 - before paring losses to fall 163.57 points to 7,167.08.
Across Europe, Germany’s Dax and the Cac 40 in France also suffered falls. The falls in Europe followed a brutal overnight sell-off in Asia and on Wall Street, where the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500 dropped 4.6 per cent and 4.1 per cent... read more
- 15:47 Coppull author to read Reu The Rainbow Gnu in support of Reuben's...
- 15:46 ‘Be Water Aware’ is the message as temperatures rise
- 15:45 Thomasina Miers’ recipe for lentils with pancetta, goat’s curd and...
- 15:45 Cocktail of the week: Martello Hall's Little red door
- 15:45 Shop in town goes single-use plastic free
- 15:44 Arsene Wenger quits Arsenal: Who joins Thierry Henry in his best...
- 15:44 Arsenal expected XI: Arsene Wenger to go 4-3-3 against West Ham for...
- 15:44 PIERS MORGAN: I'm glad Wenger's going, but I'm also glad I can...
- 15:44 Chelsea expected XI: Who will make Antonio Conte’s 3-4-3 for FA Cup...
- 15:44 US court sentences former Liberian warlord to 30 years
- 15:44 Last Damascus rebels bombarded as Assad presses advantage in Syria
- 15:44 Bristol hospital vows to improve training after death of teenager
- 15:43 Last days of Preston's former indoor market caught on camera
- 15:42 Doncaster Apprentice star returns to TV to tell of store's success...
- 15:42 A guide to nudist beaches in North Wales
- 15:40 Land Rovers put through their paces on muddy Grantham course
- 15:40 Papa John’s is selling a ‘cheeseburger pizza’
- 15:40 Annabel’s new role in BBC drama The Split
- 15:40 Express in New York for a 30th to remember
- 15:40 Students’ hopes to topple Yorkshire’s highest peaks
- 15:40 Pit banner parade to return after 30 years
- 15:40 Housebuilder gives baby unit a £1k donation
- 15:39 London Marathon's long love of fancy dress
- 15:39 Flood issues raised after heavy rainfall
- 15:39 Ballot open for action over Wigan hospital staff firm move
- 15:38 Dog festival at Prestwich's Heaton Park in aid of children's hospice
- 15:37 Prince Charles approved as next head of the Commonwealth
- 15:37 Mum who stabbed five-year-old son to death given indefinite...
- 15:37 Housebuilder gives baby unit a £1k donation
- 15:35 Motorbike rider in 'serious but stable' condition after A171 crash