Universal Credit penalty for self-employed, says Citizens Advice
Self-employed workers on Universal Credit could receive far less than employees earning the same amount, a charity has claimed.
Citizens Advice claimed that a bad month of self-employment income would not be rescued by the new benefit.
It suggested a self-employed worker earning £9,750 a year would be £630 worse off under Universal Credit than an employee in the same circumstances.
The government said the system encouraged them to grow their business.
'Loophole' Universal credit is a new benefit for working-age people, replacing six benefits and merging them into one payment. They include... read more
- 14:26 Terry Gilliam's Don Quixote film to receive premiere at Cannes...
- 14:26 Man stabbed in Rotherham town centre
- 14:26 Eden Project North mooted for The Bay
- 14:25 Shopper charged more than £930 for 11p banana
- 14:26 500 homes planned for Millom in innovative scheme
- 14:25 Rural policing to come under scrutiny in study
- 14:26 First straws now single-use plastic, popular pub group makes...
- 14:25 ‘We won’t back hate speech’
- 14:25 Incident around colony of Black Headed Gull nests
- 14:25 Derbyshire company appears in court
- 14:24 New York urged to clarify state law to guard against Trump pardons
- 14:24 MPs from UK, France and Germany urge US not to scrap Iran deal
- 14:24 UK drives into e-vehicle fast lane with 11% sales rise
- 14:24 Shopper charged more than £930 for 11p banana
- 14:22 World Cup hairdos: Survey reveals the most iconic and worst...
- 14:22 500 homes planned for Millom in innovative scheme
- 14:22 VIDEO: 'Shocked' Mr Pothole complains over Banbury potholes after tour
- 14:21 Delays for motorists in Sudbury after crash involving Royal Mail...
- 14:21 ECB announces bizarre 100-ball format for flagship T20...
- 14:21 Survey to gauge new level of rural crime
- 14:20 Did neolithic man practice trepanning on cows?
- 14:19 Proof that people don’t listen to airplane safety...
- 14:18 Take to the road in a sportive
- 14:17 Elon Musk: Walking out of meetings, and other advice from tech gurus
- 14:17 England and New Zealand dispute over Brad Shields may end up in court
- 14:17 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte has huge decision to make ahead of FA...
- 14:17 Celebrity tattooist Jay Hutton ties the knot with 'love of his...
- 14:17 ECB unveils plans for tournament with 100-ball format and 10-ball...
- 14:17 Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez rumbles on as MotoGP stars KEPT...
- 14:16 Gieves & Hawkes at The Red House