Unique vocal organ enabling birds to sing 'developed 66 million years ago'
Birds developed the unique vocal organ that enables them to sing more than 66 million years ago when dinosaurs walked the Earth, a new fossil discovery has shown.
But the earliest syrinx, an arrangement of vibrating cartilage rings at the base of the windpipe, was still a long way from producing the lilting notes of a song thrush or blackbird.
Scientists believe the extinct duck and goose relative that possessed the organ was only capable of making honking noises.
The bird, Vegavis iaai, lived during the Cretaceous era. Although its fossil bones were unearthed from Vega Island in Antarctica... read more
- 09:55 Devastated family of missing dad-of-four pay heartbreaking tribute...
- 09:53 Plans for Radiotherapy unit at Doncaster hospital put on hold
- 09:53 Enthusiasts putting on their dancing shoes for Roy Castle
- 09:53 BREAKING: ISIS destroys ancient monuments in Palmyra after jihadis...
- 09:52 Todmorden’s Yorkshire Bank branch to be axed
- 09:52 David De Gea offers Manchester United star Paul Pogba advice after...
- 09:52 World-class striker discusses transfer to Liverpool
- 09:51 Man defends digger driver dad implicated in disappearance of Ben...
- 09:51 Robbie Fowler reveals the real story behind his Liverpool exit
- 09:51 Ranked and reviewed: Manchester United’s No.7s - is Memphis Depay...
- 09:50 Zoo demolition revealed new elephant house
- 09:49 Premier League boss hands Chelsea transfer blow: I hope this deal...
- 09:49 Plans for Radiotherapy unit at Doncaster hospital put on hold
- 09:49 Police arrest five and recover Class A drugs after stopping man in...
- 09:49 Edenred shares fall as major investor Colony exits via stake sale
- 09:49 Police ‘very concerned’ for missing Leeds teenager
- 09:48 Appeal after car in collision with woman walking dogs in South Cumbria
- 09:48 Three killed and twenty injured after man deliberately drives at...
- 09:48 British workman dies in Qatar during construction of 2022 World Cup...
- 09:48 Plenty to see and hear on Wakefield’s Artwalk on January 25
- 09:47 Royal seal of approval for South Yorkshire midwife
- 09:47 Premier League team news, odds and stats from every match ahead of...
- 09:47 Asian stocks, dollar drop as Trump caution outweighs China GDP
- 09:47 Spain arrests Russian bank-account hacker wanted by FBI
- 09:46 Win the chance to watch Manchester United first-team train with the...
- 09:46 May urges Scots voters 'tell Sturgeon you don't want a second...
- 09:46 British man dies working on Qatar 2022 World Cup stadium
- 09:46 Theresa May needs to be careful about Scottish opinion, says Record...
- 09:46 Royal seal of approval for South Yorkshire midwife
- 09:46 Plans for Radiotherapy unit at Doncaster hospital put on hold