Union warns of strain on Hexham firefighters as Haydon Bridge Fire Station closes
Firefighters are warning of potentially drastic consequences for Tynedale’s rural communities as Haydon Bridge Fire Station locks its doors.
The fire station, in Station Road, shut at 7pm on Monday, after Northumberland County Council decided in March it could no longer afford to fund the service.
A campaign and heavily-backed petition begging the council to keep the station opened failed to convince the authority to make a U-turn.
Now, the village has to rely on Hexham’s fire crews, based 7.5 miles and a 10 minute drive away.
Fire Brigades Union’s (FBU) Northumberland secretary, Guy... read more
- 09:50 This is when summer 2018 officially begins
- 09:48 Derian House 25th anniversary: New therapies and seaside room in...
- 09:48 Meek Mill released from prison - and this is how he celebrated
- 09:48 Glamorous British lawyer twins face Dubai jail after 'drunkenly...
- 09:47 Kim Kardashian’s naked ambition: After that full-frontal perfume...
- 09:47 Heat was on for Fylde's marathon stars
- 09:46 British ‘drug mule’ won’t speak to lawyers ‘as he fears cartels...
- 09:45 Thunder and hail possible as more unsettled weather hits Yorkshire...
- 09:45 Martin Lewis shares three tips to make your startup a success like...
- 09:45 Lincolnshire police officers assaulted while on duty
- 09:44 How Leeds nurses and ex-patients are offering a way out of the...
- 09:44 Talking Horses: Paul Townend eyes swift Punchestown redemption
- 09:44 EXCLUSIVE: Shaun Byrne on Dundee United radar
- 09:42 Lancaster Bomber Sculpture ‘On Freedoms Wings’ set to welcome...
- 09:42 Leamington based illustrator presents book to fire crews
- 09:42 Different uniforms at Barmby Moor School
- 09:42 June date for A614 scheme completion
- 09:40 Living a life of lonely solitude
- 09:40 Emmerdale spoilers: Can Kerry Wyatt keep Daz Spencer’s huge secret?
- 09:39 Horses are being ‘dumped like rubbish’ in Yorkshire, warns animal...
- 09:39 How Leeds nurses and ex-patients are offering a way out of the...
- 09:38 Pods and ‘sitootery’ spots launched at retreat and education centre
- 09:38 Woman who had not committed a crime for 12 years in court for theft...
- 09:38 University launches charter mark to boost employers' pledge to...
- 09:38 Leamington based illustrator presents book to fire crews
- 09:37 Brexit: David Davis accused of 'cutting short' hearing
- 09:37 On-call firefighter from Skegness graduates
- 09:37 Who is Meek Mill? Net worth, age, songs and Nicki Minaj relationship
- 09:37 Study finds running makes people happier
- 09:35 Alfie Evans' parents in last-ditch bid to overturn court ruling