Union leader waits for new heart to save his life
"You hope there are many tomorrows. But you also hope you can do everything you want to do in whatever time you have."
Mark Serwotka looks well, but is desperately ill.
"Today is day 73," he says,
"But I'm not counting," he adds, with a knowing smile.
The general secretary of the Public and Commercial Services Union is in urgent need of a heart transplant.
Mr Serwotka, 53, has invited me to see him at Papworth Hospital.
The sprawling site, on the plains of rural Cambridgeshire, began life a century ago as a convalescence and treatment centre for people with... read more
- 16:03 Nine new animal cruelty complaints EVERY DAY in Nottinghamshire
- 16:03 Call goes out for your funny pet photos
- 16:03 Appeal for information after car stolen in Cubbington
- 16:03 Murdered PC Keith Palmer will be given a full police service funeral
- 16:03 New ANPR camera to be installed off Thickthorn Island near Kenilworth
- 16:02 New £1 coin is guarded by the QUEEN: Secret security codes embedded...
- 16:02 All your Easter food for £21: How an Aldi leg of lamb, Asda hot...
- 16:02 Vauxhall renames its car colour to 'Maddox Yellow' in support of...
- 16:02 Shares in Scotsman owner Johnston Press fall 11.9% as it slumps to...
- 16:02 Nine new animal cruelty complaints EVERY DAY in Nottinghamshire
- 16:02 Joachim Low explains why Mesut Ozil is one of the world’s best No. 10s
- 16:01 Woodhead Pass murder accused used text messages and GPS apps to...
- 16:00 Facebook Stories - What are they and how do you use them?
- 16:00 Leeds medic warns against missing out on vital bowel cancer screening
- 15:59 Immigration debate leads to criticism of deportation chief by...
- 15:59 Nine new animal cruelty complaints EVERY DAY in Nottinghamshire
- 15:59 Prison riot in Mexico leaves two dead and 13 injured
- 15:59 Woman sexually assaulted in Market Drayton
- 15:59 Taking LSD ‘could actually heal your brain’ rather than just...
- 15:59 Cold callers, self-service checkouts and hand-wash only clothes -...
- 15:59 How a bad Brexit deal could make the UK vulnerable to terror attacks
- 15:59 Knitted chicks set to boost funds
- 15:58 Here are 5 things you should NEVER buy from the supermarket
- 15:58 Homes hit by power cut
- 15:57 Aidan McAteer's best friend was killed in Huyton motorbike tragedy...
- 15:57 Surveillance zone lifted around farm hit by bird flu
- 15:56 Business backing boosts hospice’s work
- 15:56 Couple open bereavement centre for families who have lost children
- 15:56 West Yorkshire named worst county for animal cruelty outside London
- 15:54 New arrests after murder of Yorkshire dad