UNICEF says 75,000 children could die in Nigeria hunger crisis
Famine-like conditions in the former stronghold of Boko Haram militants in northeast Nigeria could kill 75,000 children over the next year if they do not receive aid, the United Nations children's agency said on Thursday.
Some 15,000 people have been killed and more than two million displaced during a seven-year insurgency by the Islamist militant group that has been pushed back to its stronghold in the northeast's vast Sambisa forest in the last few months.
The U.N. has called for military escorts for aid workers trying to reach areas affected by the crisis, which has been exacerbated by... read more
- 09:17 Last chance to have say on bid for ex-pool site
- 09:16 Three men cheat death after giant tree narrowly misses car in...
- 09:16 Sponsored walk and fun day will raise funds for tot’s US cancer...
- 09:15 Weather warning issued as heavy rain is forecast for Cumbria
- 09:14 Hartlepool council tax rises by 4.9% - find out how much yours will be
- 09:14 Appeal to find relatives of Hartlepool man who has died
- 09:13 U.N. chief urges Burundi parties to participate in peace talks
- 09:13 Big Pink Dress charity champ to walk Sunderland 10k course
- 09:13 Philippine leader's opponents turn historic event into protest march
- 09:13 Homeless charity’s £250,000 boost for new South Shields house
- 09:13 South Tyneside ranked 82 worst in England and Wales for shoplifting
- 09:12 WEATHER: Patchy rain and heavy cloud
- 09:10 Health board snoops punishing staff for being critical of NHS on...
- 09:10 Foodies turn out to Hoghton Farmers’ Market despite bad weather
- 09:10 WARNING - GRAPHIC PICTURES: Derbyshire man suffers horrific burns...
- 09:10 WEATHER: Patchy rain and heavy cloud
- 09:09 BADMINTONscotland ask who will follow Hamilton ace Kirsty Gilmour...
- 09:09 Lanark Amateur Swimming Club take medals and a record from the West...
- 09:09 Hamilton Judo Club youths take nine medals from Kendal Open
- 09:07 Heartbreaking moment dog helps to bury his dead brother after he’s...
- 09:07 ‘Council must be ambitious despite government funding cuts’, says...
- 09:07 Delight as fundraising total in memory of Liam Gough tops £18,500
- 09:06 Rugby league club is soaring with new partnership
- 09:06 Plenty of support for school’s careers fair
- 09:05 Cracking chocolate fundraiser for Coningsby & Tattershall Lions
- 09:05 7 stunning cities you can fly to for less than £100
- 09:05 Fit in 4: The 5-minute Pilates routine that carves your core
- 09:04 Magpie Cafe fish recipe: Hake with garlic and spinach gratin
- 09:03 Fighting for Tony: the Cumbrian fightback starts here
- 09:03 KPMG decides to close down Preston office