UNESCO vote on Jerusalem site angers Israel
UNESCO member states have renewed a resolution criticising Israel for restricting Muslim access to a Jerusalem holy site, a European diplomatic source said, angering Israel's government by also referring to the area only by its Muslim names.
The site is revered by Jews and Muslims alike, known to Jews as Temple Mount and to Muslims as the al-Aqsa compound or Haram al-Sharif.
But a draft of the latest version of the resolution, posted on UNESCO's website and dated Oct 12, showed the site repeatedly described only by its Muslim names - something Israel says amounts to a denial of its Jewish... read more
- 16:35 Mark Casci: What Brexit can learn from Yorkshire devolution
- 16:34 East Hull dance students set to wow Broadway in one-off performance
- 16:34 Hessle Road dentist to offer free mouth cancer checks in November
- 16:34 Hibs pair Anthony Stokes and Danny Swanson could miss Hearts clash...
- 16:33 Holbeach Bank FC shares the joy as £1,450 goes to charity
- 16:33 Major Fintech event to be held to bring ‘disrupters’ and mainstream...
- 16:33 Plans for new microbrewery, bar and cafe in Leeds approved
- 16:33 Could you help spread a little Christmas cheer? A farm is looking...
- 16:32 Simona Halep was too strong for Caroline Garcia in Singapore as the...
- 16:32 FAN VIEW: The majority of Evertonians are delighted Ronald Koeman’s...
- 16:32 Manchester City train in high spirits as Pep Guardiola's...
- 16:31 Family devastated after loss of Heysham man
- 16:30 Mother of Doncaster teen killed in horror crash pays tribute to...
- 16:30 Corrie Mckeague: Landfill search for missing airman resumes
- 16:29 Would you like to make a difference to children’s education?
- 16:28 Communities Secretary Sajid Javid says he was a victim of snobbery...
- 16:26 Awesome new solar-powered electric car REVEALED, but there is an issue
- 16:26 Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato Shooting Brake REVEALED in new pictures
- 16:25 Leahy books National Final spot following tough Parks encounter
- 16:24 Late firing times announced
- 16:24 Hundreds raised for local hospice following Heart of Ulverston Awards
- 16:24 Would you like to make a difference to children’s education?
- 16:23 YouTuber, 14, bursts into tears as she reveals school bullies told...
- 16:23 Rare red sprites in action: Dazzling footage shows mysterious...
- 16:23 Is this the key to treating PTSD? Scientists pinpoint fear in the...
- 16:21 Man accused of firearm offences appears in court
- 16:20 Fire safety warning to Sheffield students 'propping open doors to...
- 16:20 This new Lady Gaga waxwork will haunt your dreams
- 16:20 Families enjoy FanFest event at Sunderland’s Stadium of Light
- 16:20 Police appeal after woman sexually assaulted in Washington