UNESCO vote on Jerusalem site angers Israel
UNESCO member states have renewed a resolution criticising Israel for restricting Muslim access to a Jerusalem holy site, a European diplomatic source said, angering Israel's government by also referring to the area only by its Muslim names.
The site is revered by Jews and Muslims alike, known to Jews as Temple Mount and to Muslims as the al-Aqsa compound or Haram al-Sharif.
But a draft of the latest version of the resolution, posted on UNESCO's website and dated Oct 12, showed the site repeatedly described only by its Muslim names - something Israel says amounts to a denial of its Jewish... read more
- 09:54 BREAKING: Gunman in a pig mask goes on shooting rampage in Las...
- 09:53 National award for travel agent
- 09:53 Down Memory Lane in pictures
- 09:53 LIVE REVIEW: Yes feat. Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman at Eventim Apollo,...
- 09:52 Man United star: I want to win an award… but this is more important
- 09:52 Liverpool midfielder holds talks with Jurgen Klopp: This is what he...
- 09:49 Tottenham prepare summer transfers after £50m was wasted last year
- 09:49 Luis Garcia: This is why Philippe Coutinho must not leave Liverpool...
- 09:49 Lincolnshire County Council could end its Local Government...
- 09:49 South Keveston District Council ask residents for help to improve...
- 09:48 Shropshire protests being held over feared maternity unit cutbacks
- 09:47 50 South Yorkshire homes hit by power cut
- 09:44 Danger driver rammed taxi off road before speeding away at 100mph...
- 09:44 Major Derbyshire road closed after crash between car and lorry
- 09:44 Tatler shares all the things that make your fridge posh
- 09:44 Javier Hernandez makes history as he equals Mexico goalscoring record
- 09:42 Three charged with conspiracy to commit robbery in Nottinghamshire
- 09:42 Sports facility reopens after major refurbishment
- 09:42 Comic Relief end of night total REVEALED but Red Nose Day viewers...
- 09:41 Easter theatre fun for youngsters
- 09:41 Jeremy McConnell returns to Instagram as Ex on the Beach rumours...
- 09:41 Passionate performance by Japanese pianist
- 09:41 DR Congo unrest: Why have 10 mass graves been found in Kasai?
- 09:41 Town in top five for food hygiene improvements
- 09:41 Fernando Alonso admits McLaren might struggle to finish Australian...
- 09:41 What are Scotland's chances of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup? -...
- 09:41 7 Expert tips for cutting sugar the sensible way
- 09:41 South Lakes weather for Saturday March 25
- 09:41 Barrow's emergency services pay their respects as nation mourns...
- 09:41 Patrons back bid to buy and renovate Cumbrian poet's Millom home