UN says 69 million teachers needed for global school pledge
Almost 69 million teachers need to be recruited around the world by 2030 if international pledges on education are to be kept, warns Unesco.
The United Nations agency's estimate is for the number of teachers required to meet the promise of primary and secondary places for all children.
The biggest gaps in staffing are in sub-Saharan Africa and southern Asia.
The Unesco report says there needs to be a "seismic shift" in recruitment to overcome "massive shortages".
At present, the report from the Unesco Institute for Statistic says there are about 263 million children... read more
- 12:21 First photo of Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne renewing vows after she was...
- 12:20 Thousands feared to have donated to fake GoFundMe pages for...
- 12:20 Man feared wife was dead after 30ft ravine fall
- 12:20 Dundee United striker Simon Murray on his way to Hibs
- 12:20 Launch of indoor market
- 12:19 YP Comment: TV’s ‘action man’ – Blue Peter’s John Noakes is remembered
- 12:19 Barnoldswick music festival hit by tragedy
- 12:19 Dedicate a sunflower in memory of loved ones
- 12:18 Some young Hong Kong residents want to be part of Britain again
- 12:18 Somalia's al-Shabab stones man to death for adultery
- 12:17 Bayern Munich star hints at move: Chelsea said to have launched offer
- 12:17 Dot To Dot festival is 'one of the best dates on Nottingham's...
- 12:16 'There’s too much else going on to worry about instead of another...
- 12:16 Ben Davies staying at Grimsby Town after signing new one-year contract
- 12:16 Wanted violent attacker Sam Johnson arrested by Immingham police
- 12:16 Photographers pay tribute to fellow founding member of the...
- 12:16 Internet dating blamed for rape increase
- 12:15 WATCH: Fisherman fights off great white shark after it leapt INTO...
- 12:15 Britain's Got Talent 2017: Niels Harder promises 'very dangerous'...
- 12:14 Businesses show they are fighting fit for new partnership
- 12:13 Don’t panic, but this massive, horrible Australian spider has just...
- 12:13 Leamington facebook page reunites long-lost family
- 12:13 Kenilworth Grand Show promises day of fun
- 12:13 Police show off their dance moves at Radio 1 Big Weekend in Hull
- 12:13 Record number of English wine makers set up business last year as...
- 12:12 People who go to university are more likely to have affairs
- 12:11 Popular classic car garage Roman gets new owner
- 12:11 Security at Urdd National Eisteddfod stepped up after Manchester...
- 12:10 Western Digital may join Japan-KKR group for Toshiba chip unit bid...
- 12:10 BMW says shortage of parts from Bosch hampers production