UN says 69 million teachers needed for global school pledge
Almost 69 million teachers need to be recruited around the world by 2030 if international pledges on education are to be kept, warns Unesco.
The United Nations agency's estimate is for the number of teachers required to meet the promise of primary and secondary places for all children.
The biggest gaps in staffing are in sub-Saharan Africa and southern Asia.
The Unesco report says there needs to be a "seismic shift" in recruitment to overcome "massive shortages".
At present, the report from the Unesco Institute for Statistic says there are about 263 million children... read more
- 14:07 Karen completes charity challenge to swim length of English Channel...
- 14:07 Get a FREE Domino's pizza this weekend with this simple trick
- 14:07 CCTV camera near scene of St Ann's knife attack had been removed...
- 14:06 Duo travel back in time to take on a 120-mile canal stroll!
- 14:06 Morecambe singer’s charity to use power of music
- 14:06 Tesco to cut petrol and diesel prices by 2p ahead of Mother’s Day
- 14:06 Falcons’ feathers will boost BAE jets
- 14:05 Grimsby Town boss Bignot on latest links to Lambs favourite
- 14:05 Polesworth man takes on epic journey across country for Herald...
- 14:04 Deadline for voter registration is near for Deepings and Bourne
- 14:04 New survey on youth mental health services in Lincolnshire
- 14:04 New team to prevent employee shortages
- 14:04 Apprentices dig in to help Northumberland schools
- 14:04 Warwick school pupils’ have hi-tech way to answer questions in...
- 14:04 Senior Cup Final to be staged at St James’ Park
- 14:04 New-look Costcutter store opens in Kirton
- 14:04 Free tuition in Scotland to be extended for EU students, Swinney says
- 14:03 Chester Bach Singers celebrate arrival of spring in anniversary...
- 14:03 In the courts of Lincolnshire...
- 14:03 Syston property in incredible location has come up for auction -...
- 14:02 Manchester United under Jose Mourinho have taken transfer business...
- 14:02 Chance to be champions before Celtic can drive East Kilbride to...
- 14:02 Parked vehicles are ruining landmark site - Horncastle residents
- 14:02 Luis Suarez was 'very close' to joining Arsenal after £40,000,001...
- 14:02 Manchester United legend Eric Cantona rips into John Stones: 'He...
- 14:02 Gianluigi Buffon made his debut 22 years ago against an INCREDIBLE...
- 14:02 Join in the Comic Relief madness
- 14:01 Councillor points hairdryer at cars to deter speeding drivers
- 14:01 Wife of 39 years fails in divorce refusal appeal
- 14:00 Can you help get notes in the right order?