UN court throws out Marshall Islands' nuclear weapons case
A UN court has thrown out cases brought by the Marshall Islands against the UK and others for allegedly failing to stop the spread of nuclear weapons.
Marshall Islanders have been at the forefront of anti-nuclear activism after ecologically-devastating American bomb tests at their Bikini Atoll.
The UK, India and Pakistan were accused of failing their obligations under the 1968 nuclear non-proliferation treaty.
But the International Court of Justice said it could not rule on the case.
The Marshall Islands had sought to use the case to force nuclear powers to disarm. The tiny South Pacific... read more
- 15:28 Harborough travel firm to ‘double in size’
- 15:27 Massachusetts mattress conceals $20m in cash
- 15:27 Aston Villa: This is how soon top scorer Jonathan Kodjia could be back
- 15:27 Liam Payne narrowly avoids GUNMAN at Hollywood nightclub shooting
- 15:27 Birmingham Moseley decision throws up some difficult questions
- 15:25 Ethical hackers head to Dundee for Securi-Tay
- 15:25 Flying visit to Banbury for famous steam engine
- 15:25 Twitter backlash as Trump signs anti-abortion law in one of first...
- 15:25 Fresh Tube strikes to hit London from tomorrow
- 15:25 Man with world’s biggest penis – 19 inches – could be appearing in...
- 15:25 Chelsea eyeing Diego Lopez and Tim Krul as Asmir Begovic nears...
- 15:24 'I heard them scream that they were on fire': Flight director who...
- 15:24 Did an earthquake in Nepal knock an inch off Everest? Doubts over...
- 15:24 Driving standing up conviction for tall Newcastle man
- 15:24 Peta calls for Scotland’s last elephant to be moved to sanctuary
- 15:22 Woman beaten and robbed after dropping children off at school
- 15:22 Government loses Supreme Court Brexit battle
- 15:22 Burton Albion transfer news: Nigel Clough waiting on two loan...
- 15:22 Mohamed Elneny wants to become a legend at Arsenal like Thierry Henry
- 15:22 Dancer celebrates her 100th birthday
- 15:22 John Brayford won't rely on luck as Burton Albion look to turn...
- 15:21 Melton variety night show raises over £900 for Rainbows
- 15:20 Troll says he’s ‘glad’ former Man City ballboy, 19, died from cancer
- 15:19 We don’t want to alarm anyone, but they’ve invented a bacon toaster
- 15:19 This young couple saved up to travel the world by giving up their...
- 15:19 Asda go the extra mile with 10k support
- 15:19 Well known jeweller was a real gem of a lady
- 15:19 Top shots from the Masters by snooker’s finest
- 15:19 One in, one out: Manager confirms Chelsea arrival means ace is leaving
- 15:18 Proggy mats set for American adventure