Ukip in turmoil as leader Diane James quits after just 18 days
Ms James cited "personal and professional" reasons for her decision, saying that she had not been given sufficient authority to force through changes she wanted to make to the party.
It is also thought that her husband's ill-health and a recent incident in which she was "badly shaken up" after being verbally abused and spat at in a central London street may have played a role in persuading her to step down.
Confusion surrounded her position after she suggested in a statement that she had never formally taken up the role of leader after winning a landslide victory in the... read more
- 09:40 Coffee and cake raises £410 for Melton Mowbray Parkinson’s Support...
- 09:40 Football transfer rumours: Manchester City to let John Stones go?
- 09:40 Liverpool vs Roma: Mo Salah key in battle of underdogs - Klopp
- 09:39 Time is running out to enter the Wakefield Business Awards
- 09:39 Three-vehicle crash near Stoneleigh
- 09:39 Pothole ends Kenilworth man’s 140 mile charity challenge
- 09:36 Man attacked near Sheffield massage parlour still 'critical'
- 09:36 Morecambe theatre to host zoo party
- 09:36 Could you take on the ninja obstacle course that is coming to Leeds?
- 09:35 What work can you do to your home without planning permission?
- 09:35 Morocco World Cup 2026 bid faces up to fresh scrutiny as FIFA send...
- 09:35 Britain braced to be drenched by April showers after spring heatwave
- 09:35 Carlo Ancelotti has 'secret meeting' with Italy as he closes in on...
- 09:35 Carbon monoxide poison warning after three people were hospitalised
- 09:35 Brighouse company teaches children importance of learning first aid
- 09:35 Michael Owen’s Champions League & Europa League predictions,...
- 09:33 Severe disruption to Northern train services after incident between...
- 09:32 Plans for new Premier Inn on Scarborough waterpark site revealed
- 09:32 Corbyn must expel antisemites, says Holocaust survivor
- 09:31 Watch: What work can you do to your home WITHOUT planning permission?
- 09:31 'Hipster salty sea dog': Jacinda Ardern defends partner 'Clarke...
- 09:30 Britain’s Most Wanted list: sexual crimes
- 09:30 Sheffield killer facing life for shooting is no stranger to prison
- 09:30 Expansion planned at prominent Carlisle factory
- 09:30 Thousands of men put their lives at risk in Cumbria
- 09:30 Latest news from Seahouses WI
- 09:29 Drug dealing gang sentenced to more than 50 years
- 09:29 First store to open at Sheffield's newest retail park this week
- 09:29 Identiy of SNP consultant who met Cambridge Analytica revealed
- 09:28 Atletico Madrid dealt huge injury blow for Arsenal clash