UK will continue to work with Maldives, says Boris Johnson
When the Maldivian government announced its departure on Thursday it claimed the country had been "unfairly and unjustly" treated by the global body.
The Commonwealth was due to consider sanctions - including suspension - against the nation after its "lack of progress" on a raft of democratic reforms.
The Foreign Secretary said work had to be done to ensure the stability of the islands, which have been in political turmoil since its first democratically elected leader resigned four years ago.
"The UK is disappointed that the Maldives government has decided to... read more
- 10:23 Brexit is our chance to 'renew' Britain and the West Midlands
- 10:23 UK-German stock exchange deal blocked
- 10:23 Marks and Spencer recall soup due to possible contamination
- 10:23 ‘Hallelujah’ over Headingley’s brighter future
- 10:22 Lancaster model shop to shut after 28 years trading
- 10:22 Cannabis infused candy floss edibles now exist and they need to...
- 10:21 Firefighters wash up £500
- 10:21 Man charged over death of little Violet Grace-Youens to appear in...
- 10:21 The 10 Premier League bosses to win the most points over the past...
- 10:21 Sex offender didn't want police to disturb his bereaved family
- 10:21 Stroll With Stu: Reunion a great way to end walk to village pub
- 10:21 Telford A&E could close overnight
- 10:20 Weak sterling supports UK's FTSE ahead of Brexit trigger, mid caps...
- 10:20 Muslim groups plan march against Jakarta's Christian governor
- 10:20 Iraqi forces battle towards landmark Mosul mosque
- 10:20 Duggan family lose inquest appeal
- 10:19 EU antitrust regulators block Deutsche Boerse, LSE merger
- 10:19 Why Pets at Home are set to stop selling rabbits over Easter
- 10:19 Mirko Cro Cop wants retirement fight with fellow legend...
- 10:18 Paul Weller EXCLUSIVE: ‘Magical moment’ music icon records NEW song...
- 10:18 Sir Elton John preparing animated Joseph And The Amazing...
- 10:18 Johnathan Rayfield attacked a Batley shop assistant as he stole a...
- 10:18 Leonardo DiCaprio pays tribute to ‘best acting mum’ after death of...
- 10:18 Book review: Irresistible: Why we can’t stop checking, scrolling,...
- 10:18 Disgraced hospital consultant who ripped off NHS gets unpaid work
- 10:18 Bool review: Birdcage Walk, by Helen Dunmore
- 10:18 7 great family days out in Scotland
- 10:17 Halifax MP Holly Lynch warns prison officers face huge risk of...
- 10:17 Crash on busy Scarborough road
- 10:17 Gunnar Nelson reveals who he wants to fight after emphatic Alan...