UK troops to be 'protected from vexatious claims' - ministers
The government is to unveil a legal measure it says will protect UK troops from "vexatious" legal claims.
The change in policy, to be announced at the Conservative conference, would mean parts of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) could be suspended during future conflicts.
Much of the litigation faced by the Ministry of Defence comes from claims under the ECHR, the government says.
Defence Secretary Michael Fallon said the legal system had been "abused".
"It has caused significant distress to people who risked their lives to protect us, it has cost the... read more
- 01:45 EastEnders spoilers: Tilly Keeper reveals Louise Mitchell and Lisa...
- 01:30 Ben Affleck denies Batman exit rumours
- 01:26 Antonio Conte reveals Chelsea are close to another transfer after...
- 01:23 England captain Heather Knight keen on women's IPL
- 01:23 Andrew 'Beef' Johnston's hits back at 'pathetic' talkSPORT hosts...
- 01:14 Pokemon Go Lugia launch: Chicago Fest brings Legendary to Trainers...
- 01:14 Juventus 1-2 Barcelona: Neymar responds to transfer rumours by...
- 01:12 Manchester United Jose Mourinho press conference LIVE updates
- 01:10 Merseyrail strike hits Open golf at Royal Birkdale
- 01:10 Consultation on changing legal gender to be launched
- 00:57 'It sticks in my mind' - Prince William and Harry speak of last...
- 00:57 Marian Hill: 'An Apple advert kick-started our career'
- 00:55 Australia players' union warn time is running out to resolve pay...
- 00:55 The Open 2017: Final day tee-times as Jordan Spieth leads the field...
- 00:55 Chelsea swoop for Brazilian prodigy Richarlison as Antonio Conte...
- 00:55 Tottenham vs Paris Saint-Germain, International Champions Cup LIVE:...
- 00:51 Emmerdale spoilers: Pierce Harris walks free as Vanessa Woodfield’s...
- 00:35 Range Rover Velar 2017 REVIEW - Can Land Rover do no wrong?
- 00:32 Chelsea lead race to sign Brazilian striker Richarlison
- 00:32 Blood donation rules relaxed for gay men and sex workers
- 00:28 Fiction: Chicken Scratchings by Angela Clarke
- 00:28 HMP Hewell: Security teams dealing with 'ongoing incident'
- 00:28 Summer non-fiction books from biography to travel and nature reads
- 00:28 SNES Classic Mini pre-order US UPDATE - Walmart open pre-orders,...
- 00:26 K-golf: South Korea's female golfing phenomenon
- 00:24 Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins set to present BBC Generation Game reboot
- 00:22 Generation Game to be brought back with Mel and Sue
- 00:22 Princes tell documentary of 'fun' childhood with Diana
- 00:20 Grinding teeth at night? Nine things YOU should know about bruxism
- 00:20 How to stop a nosebleed - GP reveals why you are doing THIS wrong