UK to pay for £700,000 prison wing in Nigeria
The UK is to pay for a new wing in one of Nigeria's largest prisons to help expedite the transfer of offenders from British jails.
Up to £700,000 will be spent on a 112-bed annex in Kiri Kiri prison in the country's largest city Lagos.
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said it would enable eligible Nigerian inmates serving time in the UK to return home to complete their sentences.
The UK and Nigeria signed a prisoner transfer agreement in 2014.
It means citizens of one who commit crimes in the other will serve sentences in their homeland.
According to Ministry of Justice figures, there were... read more
- 07:33 New flats plan for landmark Chesterfield building
- 07:33 New lifeline in campaign to save Ryton Gardens
- 07:33 Mum took me on my first Race for Life. Now I'll start it in her honour
- 07:33 Coventry named sixth best UK city for a night out - yes really
- 07:33 Chelsea transfer news: Shock Championship star eyed as Hazard or...
- 07:28 Arthouse films battle squeeze from Netflix and blockbusters
- 07:28 Switch energy providers now to escape price rises
- 07:28 ‘I don’t need things. I have two suitcases with everything in’
- 07:28 Holiday money: how to find the best cards and currency rates
- 07:28 Are some landlords bending energy efficiency rules?
- 07:28 Is it worth buying expensive sun cream?
- 07:22 Man Utd transfer news: David de Gea NOT offered new deal - truth on...
- 07:20 Rugby’s charity Christmas card shop to close it doors
- 07:20 Yorkshire’s wetlands are prime spots to witness nature’s aerial...
- 07:20 New hatchlings boost Sedbergh’s efforts to save the swift
- 07:16 Boss Bates aiming for four new Pools signings in next 10 days
- 07:15 Dowson’s delighted to have key role with Boyd’s new-look Saints
- 07:13 Ballinger excited for new challenge with FC Stratford
- 07:13 PICTURE GALLERY: Stratford Snooker League presentation night
- 07:13 Lawyers saddle up for 3,700 mile cycling relay
- 07:13 Public-funded £3m office block could finally be fully occupied...
- 07:13 School slam 'destructive' pool group ahead of crunch meeting
- 07:13 Sailor speaks after Mayday rescue which had seven vessels on standby
- 07:10 Chelsea news: Antonio Conte sacking to be confirmed NEXT WEEK,...
- 07:10 Horninglow couple thank neighbours for replacing tent after it was...
- 07:09 Northampton pub installs double-decker bus-sized TV screen perfect...
- 07:08 The touching story behind Hull's homeless DJ
- 07:07 Donald Glover on the return of Atlanta: ‘I’m not making a TV show,...
- 07:05 What links Zinedine Zidane, Bob Paisley and Carlo Ancelotti? The...
- 07:04 Sturgeon says Brexit negotiations have ‘eroded’ trust in Westminster