UK should "flush out" firms not doing enough to hire Britons - minister
The government wants to "flush out" businesses that are not doing enough to try and hire British workers before recruiting foreign staff, Home Secretary Amber Rudd said on Wednesday.
The comment follows Rudd's announcement to the ruling Conservative Party's conference on Tuesday that she would launch a review into whether recruiting foreign workers should be made harder, an idea condemned by employer groups.
Concerns over immigration were a key factor in Britain's vote to leave the European Union in a June referendum, and the new government led by Prime Minister Theresa May has... read more
- 02:33 Australian tourist dies in New Zealand rafting accident
- 02:19 UK airports with worst departing flight delays revealed
- 02:11 TOWIE: Courtney Green screams 'no one likes you' at Jordan Wright...
- 02:11 Billboards 2018: Jenna Dewan dominates the red carpet in gladiator...
- 02:11 George Clooney 'danced with Meghan Markle AND Duchess Catherine at...
- 02:11 Billboards 2018: Demi Lovato shows off her wild side with a...
- 02:11 A Very English Scandal viewers can't forget Ben Whishaw as the...
- 02:11 Billboards 2018: Christina Aguilera leads the worst dressed in...
- 02:11 Simon Cowell's son Eric, 4, puts on a hilarious display as he...
- 02:11 Taylor Swift thanks 'female artists who paved the way' for her as...
- 02:01 Reality Check: Are clothes moths on the rise?
- 01:52 India's Billy Elliott 'living the dream' in the Scottish Highlands
- 01:34 First baby in 12 years born on remote island where births are banned
- 01:16 Health services overloaded despite support pledges, claims report
- 01:15 UK turns blind eye to dirty Russian money, say MPs
- 01:10 Extra funding needed to avoid ‘year-round crisis’ in the NHS
- 00:56 Michele Curtis's red salad with berries and spiced nuts recipe
- 00:53 Gender inequality: Stars tell world leaders poverty is sexist
- 00:52 Jameela Jamil was told she was 'too ethnic' to make it in the US
- 00:41 Jayne Dowle: My not so brave new world in the shadow of terror
- 00:41 The Yorkshire Post says: Fears of farmers. New calls for customs...
- 00:36 How we will know if North Korea really 'denuclearises'
- 00:36 Ben Makuch of Vice takes on police in Supreme Court
- 00:36 Grenfell Tower: Bereaved to speak at inquiry into blaze
- 00:30 Who is Tom Markle and why isn’t he walking Meghan down the aisle?
- 00:29 Defence secretary unveils strategy to protect UK satellites
- 00:27 Drax Power Station says pilot scheme could make it 'carbon negative'
- 00:24 US weighs plans to curb Chinese investment
- 00:24 'I found my call in life at that airport'
- 00:24 UK's clean car goal 'not ambitious enough'