UK loses £11 billion a year to fraud and cybercrime
British businesses and members of the public lost a combined £10.9 billion pounds to fraud last year, according to new figures from anti-fraud groups.
Averaged across the whole adult population of the UK that equates to around £210 per person, but Action Fraud and Get Safe Online warn that the real figure is likely to be even higher.
Those polled by the group who said they had been a victim of online crime lost an average of £523 each but almost 40 per cent of victims said they hadn’t bothered to report the incident. More than a third (38 per cent) said they felt the matter was too trivial... read more
- 09:44 It all added up for students
- 09:40 Nelson man got sucked in to repeat vacuum thefts, court hears
- 09:39 Iran's supreme court upholds tycoon's death sentence for graft
- 09:38 Quiz of the week’s news...
- 09:38 OFSTED ANNUAL REPORT: ‘Too many children not doing well enough in...
- 09:38 Weekend weather for South Cumbria
- 09:36 Old Dalby schoolchild Chloe’s fantastic fundraising efforts help...
- 09:35 Rip-off fears as Mastercard lets shoppers pay at till in...
- 09:35 Brexit has made Britons more interested in the economy - and...
- 09:35 What are trade agreements and why do we need them? Watch our...
- 09:34 Barrow residents to pay for 'green waste' collections
- 09:34 Weekend sexual health clinic in Barrow hospital closes after...
- 09:34 National headlines
- 09:34 Two seriously injured in A590 smash in Barrow
- 09:34 Traffic and travel news for Cumbria - Saturday December 3
- 09:32 India, Afghanistan plan air cargo link over Pakistan
- 09:31 Body of Long Eaton man James Nicholls pulled from sewage tank
- 09:30 Preferred candidate named in hunt for Lincolnshire’s new Chief...
- 09:29 Man killed in early-hours crash near Telford
- 09:29 Paul Pogba can be as good as Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and...
- 09:29 Reeves and Mortimer at Nottingham's Royal Concert Hall - review
- 09:25 Recognition for partnership tackling underage drinking
- 09:25 Morpeth woman jailed for involvement in murder
- 09:23 Hillsborough foes have traded places
- 09:23 Turkey hits back at EU over migrant deal collapse as it blasts 'you...
- 09:22 Unauthorised wearing of military medals could become a crime
- 09:21 China protests at Trump-Taiwan call
- 09:20 Concert violinist jailed for conning people out of £357,000 by...
- 09:20 Newcastle United duo set to miss Burton Albion trip after red cards...
- 09:16 Chinese mine disasters kill at least 38