UK house prices leap by £17k on average in just one year - and the East and South East of England see the biggest gains
A typical property in Britain added £3,000 of value in August despite worries over the potential impact of the EU referendum vote, data from the Office for National Statistics shows this morning.
The value of the average home now sits at £219,000, £17,000 more than the same month last year with annual price inflation rising to 8.4 per cent, a nudge higher than the rate recorded in July.
The graph below shows how prices have soared since 2013, when the typical UK property value sat closer to the £170,000 mark.
A number of experts and think tanks predicted prices would tumble in the aftermath... read more
- 07:45 Scientists warn big rise in severe earthquakes is coming next year...
- 07:45 Delays after collision on M1 near Rotherham
- 07:43 Coronation Street boss Kate Oates reveals how she persuaded Alison...
- 07:42 Man arrested in police operation outside prison in Doncaster
- 07:40 Thanks for fantastic cheese on toast, Ian
- 07:39 Live: Breaking news, weather and travel Monday November 20
- 07:38 Queen and Duke star in new portraits to mark 70th anniversary
- 07:35 Beaten, drugged and locked up in mental hospital
- 07:34 Man arrested in police operation outside prison in Doncaster
- 07:34 How to do a job badly
- 07:33 Toddler found in abandoned car after police chase in Rotherham
- 07:33 Double yellow lines
- 07:33 Hundreds of lost lives on roads every year
- 07:32 Warwickshire aiming to benefit from Coventry UK City of Culture bid
- 07:32 Volunteers plant 1,500 trees to help woodland grow
- 07:30 Tombola staff are all tuckered out for I’m a Celeb launch
- 07:28 Are these piles of slop the worst school meals ever made?
- 07:28 Happy anniversary, your Majesty! Queen releases official portraits...
- 07:28 Work starts on new £350,000 visitor centre which aims to create a...
- 07:26 The Weird, Wonderful Web
- 07:25 Burton Live: Breaking news, traffic and travel on Monday, November 20
- 07:25 Hartlepool boss keen to move on from Aldershot loss
- 07:24 Bella Hadid models underwear backstage as she gets ready for...
- 07:23 Brexit divorce bill: Theresa May to hold 'inner cabinet' talks
- 07:23 Serial killer Charles Manson dies aged 83 in hospital after falling...
- 07:22 Paedophile tried to get ‘father’ to sexually abuse his...
- 07:19 Manchester United transfer 'target' Willian could solve problem...
- 07:19 Man City battle Liverpool for German international and more...
- 07:14 Sunderland boxer Josh Kelly shows off his ‘Pretty Boy’ modelling...
- 07:14 Sunderland planning officers defended after claims of bullying over...