UK car industry 'needs EU single market'
The success of the UK motor industry could be "jeopardised" if the UK leaves the single market following Brexit, a senior industry figure has said.
The chief executive of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) told the BBC the sector would be under threat outside the single market.
Mike Hawes told BBC business editor Simon Jack that the industry's success was built on its being in the bloc.
The European Union is the UK motor industry's biggest export market.
Mr Hawes, who has warned on previous occasions that the industry's future growth may be hit, was speaking in... read more
- 19:06 5 things you might have missed in North Wales: January 23, 2017
- 19:05 Homes evacuated after explosion in block of flats in east London
- 19:05 Schoolboy, 16, rejects £5 million for website he created in...
- 19:05 Man spared jail for stabbing brother for eating his chicken sandwich
- 19:04 Hornchurch homes evacuated following 'explosion' in block of flats
- 19:03 Clifton hairdresser spared immediate jail term afer admitting...
- 19:02 Former 'legal highs' Black Mamba and Spice reclassified under new law
- 19:02 Defence Secretary accused of 'secrecy' over Trident test
- 19:02 'Heroin took hold of my life - and it was easier to get crack than...
- 19:02 Racist stickers 'will be removed' after appearing in Aintree Village
- 19:02 Teenage gang hunted over assaults which left two victims seriously...
- 19:02 Police staff member charged with computer misuse
- 19:01 Paris rolls out colour-code stickers for cars to curb pollution
- 19:01 Little Mix Eirias Stadium tickets sold out
- 19:00 Freezing fog to hit Chester area tonight
- 19:00 Villagers in Stretton could be drinking in a new micro-pub with an...
- 18:59 Drumroll please! The title for Star Wars: Episode 8 has been revealed
- 18:58 Brothers jailed for trafficking workers from Poland to...
- 18:57 Model Hanne Gaby Odiele has revealed she’s intersex, but what does...
- 18:56 Tottenham's new 61,000-seater stadium has been engineered to make...
- 18:55 U.S. STOCKS TRIM LOSSES SLIGHTLY; S&P 500 DOWN 0.3 PCT, DOW DOWN...
- 18:55 Balkan push for new coal-fired plants raises environmental concerns
- 18:55 Video verdict: Wasps stumble into quarter-finals, Coventry and...
- 18:55 Ilkeston pupils hit the high notes for charity
- 18:54 Brainy beauty aims to break pageanting stereotype
- 18:54 VIDEO & 360 PHOTO: Picasso Linocuts exhibition opens in Yorkshire...
- 18:54 City Varieties date for folk-rock star Martha Wainwright
- 18:53 Take a look at the proposed flyover plans for A19 at Testo's junction
- 18:53 Brothers jailed for people trafficking and fraud
- 18:52 England coach Trevor Bayliss opens door to Stuart Broad and Steven...