UK aid money: Generosity or wasted spending?
A class of Ugandan schoolgirls lines up under a tree. They are waiting to receive the HPV vaccine, which will protect them from cervical cancer.
The project is run by the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization, which in turn has received a significant amount of funding from British taxpayers.
With a budget of more than £12bn, the Department for International Development is an arm of government with spending power that is likely to keep growing.
The UK has passed a bill that enshrines in law its commitment to spend 0.7% of the country's gross national income on aid every year.
But... read more
- 05:42 Worrying stats show Birmingham hospital waiting lists at highest...
- 05:41 Lionel Messi: Argentina manager issues urgent message to fans
- 05:40 How old are Prince William, Kate Middleton, Prince Harry and...
- 05:39 Upskirting bill to be introduced by the government
- 05:37 Awaiting the dawn at Stonehenge: midnight parties - archive, 1928
- 05:35 McLaren make huge offer for 'king of the market' Daniel Ricciardo –...
- 05:31 Alder Hey rated 'outstandingly' caring in most recent inspection...
- 05:31 Brave police officers risked their lives to stop man falling from...
- 05:25 If your children have these names you can get into Legoland Windsor...
- 05:24 From Stonehenge to Iceland's Arctic Henge, by motorbike – photo essay
- 05:21 Birmingham Post Business Awards sponsors enjoy Belfry breakfast
- 05:21 'I trust him': Minnesota crowd split on immigration but refuse to...
- 05:16 Oldest Homo sapiens bones ever found shake foundations of the human...
- 05:15 England’s Ruben Loftus-Cheek wants bigger Chelsea role or may leave
- 05:07 'Let the adventure begin!' - What you had to say about the high...
- 05:07 Shocking pictures show the horrific places where homeless people...
- 04:43 Absolute Bowie celebrates the life of David Bowie at Burton's...
- 04:39 The Grimsby taxi drivers who have become unlikely icons of...
- 04:36 Jacinda Ardern #babywatch sends New Zealand media gaga
- 04:34 Hull man hacks victim's emails and calls them 90 times a day
- 04:34 Heart Awards 2018: How to nominate your unsung hero
- 04:27 Charlottesville organiser plans Washington DC rally
- 04:16 Tesco 'planning' discount chain to take on Aldi and Lidl
- 04:06 In pictures: Isle of Wight Festival at 50
- 04:06 Ed Sheeran: Travel and ticket warning for Cardiff concerts
- 04:06 Family's £15k debt from fight against Section 322(5) immigration rule
- 04:03 National Enquirer publisher subpoenaed in Michael Cohen inquiry
- 03:42 Research backs English as key to development
- 03:38 Trump at rally: family separation outcry is a distraction by Democrats
- 03:28 Sex, drugs and A&E: 10 charts on how the under-30s use the NHS