U.S. watchdog questions money spent on Afghan 'ghost' soldiers
A U.S. government watchdog is pressing the Pentagon to explain reports of tens of thousands of "ghost" soldiers and police on the payrolls of the Afghan security forces, which are heavily funded by international donors.
The U.S. government has allocated more than $68 billion (54.59 billion pounds) since 2002 to help support Afghan security forces battling Taliban insurgents and other militants. The United States and its NATO allies pledged earlier this year to provide around $5 billion per year until at least 2020 for the army and police.
Some of that money could be fraudulently... read more
- 10:34 Metal detectorists unearth unique hoard of Roman artefacts
- 10:33 Watch out for these fake texts about your mobile phone bill
- 10:31 GALLERY: Amazing pictures from inside the derelict Royal Court Theatre
- 10:31 Watch out for these fake texts about your mobile phone bill
- 10:30 Well-known Burnley youth club leader dies
- 10:30 This is how Warwick University is supporting women in engineering
- 10:29 Tony Abbott signals he'll cross the floor to vote against...
- 10:29 'Please let me lay him to rest' Grieving sister issues burial plea...
- 10:28 Yorkshire cycle scheme helping young and old
- 10:28 Ripon shop burglary: CCTV image of suspect
- 10:26 Knight’s Days - the Life at Westminster column with MP Sir Greg Knight
- 10:26 Blackpool South MP’s concern at sharing of student’s data
- 10:26 World record bid at Blackpool music event
- 10:26 Amelia’s Americana sound is unplugged
- 10:26 Fylde Coast GPs will not offer hayfever remedies
- 10:26 Hundreds turn out for charity Big Toddle at Blackpool Zoo
- 10:25 Man Utd fans praise Ashley Young for crashing Harry Kane’s England...
- 10:25 Love among the ruins: Park Hill exhibition to reopen Sheffield gallery
- 10:25 TV’s Chris Beardshaw unveils his stunning new garden at Mount Grace...
- 10:25 Christa Ackroyd: Why I am proud to say I am adopted
- 10:25 The 'flying circus' tragedy: When two children were killed by a...
- 10:24 The next big parenting trend is giving your baby a Spanish name
- 10:23 Watch out for these fake texts about your mobile phone bill
- 10:23 The 'flying circus' tragedy: When two children were killed by a...
- 10:22 Return of the scarecrows to Doncaster village
- 10:21 Blackpool conference centre in sales team drive
- 10:21 Temperatures set to soar to 26C across Bucks
- 10:21 Bargain loving James opens Wyre estate agents
- 10:21 Police rescue 'suspected illegal immigrant' who hadn't eaten for...
- 10:19 Mysterious ‘crashed UFO’ on Mars ‘could have formed in...