U.S. embassy in Congo says family members can return after evacuation
Family members of U.S. personnel in Democratic Republic of Congo can return to the country, the U.S. embassy said late on Friday, one week after ordering them to leave over safety concerns related to the volatile political climate.
At least 50 people were killed last month in anti-government protests in the capital Kinshasa and the United States has slapped sanctions on three members of President Joseph Kabila's inner circle for allegedly committing human rights abuses and helping block planned elections.
"The order to depart was made last week out of an abundance of caution... read more
- 17:53 Sunderland council agrees to give £6.5m to support £8m children’s...
- 17:53 Cash stolen from Tesco Express in Kenilworth
- 17:53 'The party is over' - police place closure notice on Barrow property
- 17:51 Is Steve Trevor's return in Wonder Woman 2 just another absurd...
- 17:48 Profile: Dr Jane Barton, GP and the Gosport hospital scandal
- 17:48 Health chiefs to make case for further changes to hospital services...
- 17:46 Pride clothing made in countries where being gay is illegal
- 17:46 Health chiefs to make case for further changes to hospital services...
- 17:46 WWII bomb taken to York shop sparks alert
- 17:46 Appeal to find 'silly' 1989 Addenbrooke's cancer nurse Debbie
- 17:46 Woodford student admits killing teenage sister in crash
- 17:45 Ancient 'Saxon road' discovered under Victoria Square in Birmingham...
- 17:45 Yobs steal golf buggy, crash it and cause THOUSANDS of pounds worth...
- 17:45 Burger King sorry for Whopper offer to women who get pregnant by...
- 17:43 Man loves his job so much he got his company logo tattooed on...
- 17:42 How Senegal's coach Aliou Cisse became a meme
- 17:41 Pokemon Go player, 71, ‘beat up man who accused him of cheating’
- 17:40 Private emails show DfT contempt for rail users, says MP
- 17:40 Leading author at World Cup themed event nets great result
- 17:39 Burger King continues quest for Peace Day burger after McWhopper...
- 17:39 BBQs at the ready: Iceland is now selling pigs in blankets kebabs
- 17:38 Dad and daughter's incredible transformation after losing 23 stone...
- 17:36 Donald Trump will meet the Queen during UK visit
- 17:35 Caroline Verdon: Who has time to be a perfect ‘Pinterest mum’?
- 17:35 Leeds rush hour bicycle ride for Clean Air Day
- 17:34 Liverpool chief offers huge update on Anfield redevelopment
- 17:33 'Calamity of utter failures' on Northern network slammed by...
- 17:33 Search for lost daughter named in will
- 17:33 Wasps, Bath, Toulouse and Leinster in Heineken Champions Cup pool...
- 17:33 Remains of “ancient wolf” found in Highland peat bog