U.S. election, rate outlook to curb Wall Street gains this year: Reuters poll
Uncertainty surrounding the U.S. presidential election, expectations for higher interest rates and weak corporate earnings will keep U.S. stocks from advancing much in the fourth quarter, according to strategists in a Reuters poll.
The benchmark S&P 500 index .SPX will end the year at 2,173, according to the median forecast of 40 strategists polled by Reuters over the past week. That would be up slightly from Monday's finish of 2,161.2 and a gain of about 6 percent for 2016.
Between July and August, the index hit a series of all-time highs, with the record close now standing at... read more
- 19:27 Man jailed for 20-year spate of sex abuse on children
- 19:25 Luis Enrique set to take over from Arsene Wenger at Arsenal at the...
- 19:25 Mark Robins makes this change to Coventry City team to face Stevenage
- 19:24 Towering figure in junior sport, George Brough, dies aged 82
- 19:23 England's netball success shines light on thriving UK club scene
- 19:23 Arsène Wenger, Arsenal's departing general, deserves a fitting...
- 19:23 Swedish superstar DJ Avicii dead at just 28
- 19:21 There's life in this old bird yet
- 19:20 Tornado steam train breaks down during 90mph run
- 19:19 Joseph Stiglitz: 2018 Sydney Peace prize winner on tax cuts and Trump
- 19:19 Swedish DJ Avicii dies aged 28
- 19:16 WATCH: CCTV appeal after fire at Preston shed company
- 19:15 DJ Avicci dies aged 28
- 19:15 New Jersey gym fires three staff members after two black men are...
- 19:12 WATCH: CCTV appeal after fire at Preston shed company
- 19:12 Swedish DJ Avicii has died at the age of 28
- 19:12 Swedish DJ Avicii found dead aged 28
- 19:11 Middleton's Ash End Children's Farm opens new mini beast attraction
- 19:11 Drug dealer suspects arrested and two cannabis farms destroyed...
- 19:11 DJ Avicii dies at the age of 28, his agent confirms
- 19:11 Swedish DJ Avicii dies aged 28
- 19:10 West Brom director Richard Garlick to leave the club to take up new...
- 19:08 People hurt in multi-vehicle crash on the M1 tonight
- 19:06 Avicii dead at 28 as world famous DJ and producer passes away
- 19:06 Scientists edge closer to creating a male pill that turns off sperm...
- 19:06 Nasa will have a space station that will orbit the moon in 2025 to...
- 19:06 Apple reveals 'Daisy', the robot that takes apart your dead iPhone...
- 19:06 Proof the military is controlling the weather? Footage of purple...
- 19:05 How to create a comic book art masterpiece using an iPad and...
- 19:04 BIG INTERVIEW: Preston golden girl Lisa Whiteside