U.N.'s rights boss warns Russia over Syria air strikes
The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights warned Russia on Tuesday over its use of incendiary weapons in air strikes on the Syrian city of Aleppo, where he said attacks on civilian targets may amount to crimes against humanity.
The situation in besieged, rebel-held eastern Aleppo demanded bold new initiatives "including proposals to limit the use of the veto by the permanent members of the Security Council", said High Commissioner Zeid Ra'ad al Hussein.
That would enable major powers to refer the situation to the International Criminal Court, a step previously blocked... read more
- 07:42 Scots urged to turn to tap to arrest plastic bottle scourge
- 07:42 Kidnap victims praised after foiled South Yorkshire bank robbery
- 07:41 Call for upskirting bill to include 'deepfake' pornography ban
- 07:41 Jacinda Ardern: New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- 07:41 Minibus carrying 16 passengers crashes into garden on A1028 in Ulceby
- 07:40 Day four of Burton Bridge roadworks gets under way - live updates
- 07:39 Vulnerable pupils abandoned by schools, head of Ofsted warns
- 07:38 Thieves steal from person's mobility scooter while parked in...
- 07:38 100th birthday celebration for Washington dairy queen Elsie
- 07:36 Patriotic Hartlepool DJ flying the flag for England in the World Cup
- 07:35 BAE Systems wins £150 million tank contract with US Marine Corps
- 07:34 Kidnap victims praised after foiled South Yorkshire bank robbery
- 07:33 RISE AND SHINE: Weather, travel and fun features to kick-start your...
- 07:33 Dad-of-10 who fled family after crash dies in prison during...
- 07:33 Bosses make humble public apology after worker got just...
- 07:30 Dixons Carphone sees big profits fall
- 07:29 M55 death crash driver jailed - heartbroken partner recalls...
- 07:27 Parks suffer as councils cut £15 million from green space budgets
- 07:27 Leeds drag and cabaret bar set to take show to another level
- 07:27 Leeds cycle ride to support clean air
- 07:27 Rugby fans to get first glimpse of new 10,000 seater stadium
- 07:26 Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez in 'secret agreement' to ruin...
- 07:26 Chelsea transfer news: Blues set to battle Villarreal over Napoli...
- 07:26 Don Your Way column: Abuse, angry complaints and an email to my...
- 07:26 Kidnap victims praised after foiled South Yorkshire bank robbery
- 07:26 RISE AND SHINE: Weather, travel and fun features to kick-start your...
- 07:25 Coventry traffic news: Ring road, M6, A46, A45, M69 and more
- 07:25 RISE AND SHINE: Weather, travel and fun features to kick-start your...
- 07:25 Why did GWR slam the brakes on my bike booking?
- 07:24 Selfie campaign shows support for women in engineering