Two-hour daily commute 'on rise among UK workers'
Commuting for two hours is a daily reality for millions of UK workers, says data that suggests Britons are willing to travel further and longer.
Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures show 3.7 million workers travel for two hours or longer every weekday.
Frances O'Grady of the Trades Union Congress, which published the figures, called on employers to do more to prevent "excessive" journeys.
The average daily commute lasted 57.1 minutes in 2015, the ONS data showed.
Ms O'Grady blamed stagnant wages for bulging commuting times, paired with high house prices and rental costs.... read more
- 12:17 Christmas fundraiser showcases work of Dementia Support South Lincs
- 12:14 Turns out Liverpool ARE playing in the Champions League
- 12:13 Derbyshire police investigates reports of historic child abuse in...
- 12:13 Ironville and Codnor Park Primary School is 'inadequate'
- 12:13 Shop hopes to win licence by not selling super-strength alcohol
- 12:12 Man Utd Transfer News: Shock double Everton swoop, £60m Real raid,...
- 12:10 Derbyshire police investigates reports of historic child abuse in...
- 12:10 Teen’s tragic death is stark reminder on why not to drink or drug...
- 12:08 Award winning band set to play in East Lancashire
- 12:07 Two-car collision causing delays on the A38
- 12:07 Halloween boosts profits for Alton Towers owner
- 12:07 Mum campaigns for traffic lights outside North Wingfield primary
- 12:06 Donation made to food bank is a timely boost before Christmas
- 12:06 Grantham Journal letter: Centre has failed spectacularly
- 12:04 Matt Palmer wants to back up stunning first goal of the season for...
- 12:04 Bournemouth vs Liverpool LIVE: Adam Lallana and Roberto Firmino...
- 12:03 Fire at large Derbyshire building
- 12:03 Police cordon and forensics outside Nottingham's Pryzm nightclub
- 12:00 Bluebell Hospice needs you!
- 11:58 River Trent search after person goes overboard from vessel
- 11:56 Euan McColm: Dublin love-in keeps indyref2 hopes alive
- 11:56 Alcoholic family from Stoke-on-Trent costs taxpayers more than £1...
- 11:56 Cost of new footbridge between Aslackby and Graby branded ‘madness’
- 11:56 CCTV image released by police investigating graffiti incident at...
- 11:55 Charity can help with mediation after couples separate
- 11:53 Demetrious Johnson survives scare to defend flyweight title against...
- 11:53 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang admits he doesn't know if he will be...
- 11:53 We survived 'Arsenovember'... Mesut Ozil expresses delight as...
- 11:53 Manchester United star Paul Pogba claims he always knew he would...
- 11:53 Sergio Aguero appears to taunt Gary Cahill after his calamitous own...