Two deaths linked to heart defibrillators: FDA issues urgent warning after devices 'ran out of battery' THREE MONTHS too early
Two people have died and 10 people fainted after their heart defibrillators ran out of battery, the FDA has revealed.
The medical devices, made by St Jude Medical, had a rare defect that caused them to fail much earlier than expected.
St Jude said the batteries should be replaced immediately after patients receive an electronic, vibrating alert from the device.
Normally patients have up to three months to have batteries replaced.
But the company said a small subset of its heart-shocking defibrillators can fail within 24 hours of the alert.
The problem affects a subset of its Fortify,... read more
- 11:37 Diane Abbott: My views on IRA, like my hair, have changed
- 11:37 Car blaze drama at Preston petrol station
- 11:37 Girl hurt in Preston road traffic collision
- 11:36 Arrest after man dies on Radio 1 Big Weekend shuttle bus
- 11:36 Help! Mum locked out of house with child trapped inside
- 11:36 Bank Holiday weather: More thunderstorms could strike Yorkshire
- 11:35 Dunkirk: Harry Styles reveals the truth behind THAT water scene -...
- 11:35 Kaiser Chiefs to rock OAT
- 11:34 Conspiracy theory behind dates of recent terror attacks - just...
- 11:34 What will the weather be like in South Yorkshire over the Bank...
- 11:34 Bank Holiday weather: More thunderstorms could strike Yorkshire
- 11:33 Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha is just the man to help party-loving...
- 11:32 Kim Jong-un watches as North Korea tests new weapons
- 11:32 Police appeal after North East sex attack on 15-year-old girl
- 11:31 Reports of flash flooding in Yorkshire as stormy weather hits region
- 11:30 Watch: M5 driver cuts up then BRAKE TESTS car towing caravan
- 11:30 9 things we learned at Birmingham Pride
- 11:30 Hugely successful dance festival will be extended next year
- 11:30 British Airways disruption continues after IT failure
- 11:29 Newcastle Airport still subject to flight disruption from Heathrow...
- 11:29 Mass brawl at popular Tyne drinking spot leads to 6ft fence being...
- 11:28 Where does the Environment Agency have flood alerts in place in...
- 11:28 MIDAS SHARE TIPS: Specialist insurer Global Benefits Group proves...
- 11:28 US law firm claims I have £110k in shares to claim but I'll have to...
- 11:27 Police issue photo of Manchester attacker, believe bomb made in...
- 11:27 Arsenal primed to beat Chelsea to Serie A hitman Andrea Belotti in...
- 11:26 Police appeal for missing man
- 11:26 Libya Benghazi: Group blamed for 2012 attack on US mission disbands
- 11:26 Sri Lanka floods: Residents afraid as more rain forecast
- 11:26 White House didn’t include gay prime minister’s husband in...