TV ads blamed for overweight children
Children eat nearly two fifth more calories if they watch TV ads for junk food, even if they are full.
And some kids are genetically programmed to overeat when bombarded by the ads.
The study of nine and ten-year-olds discovered the influence of ad breaks
Researchers at Dartmouth’s Norris Cotton Cancer Centre, and the C. Everett Koop Institute, United States, tested how a gene previously linked to obesity, played a role in overeating amongst children exposed to ‘food cues.’
In a randomised experiment study 172 children ate lunch until they were full then were immediately shown a 34-minute... read more
- 08:27 The morning news headlines: UK set to begin 'momentous journey' to...
- 08:26 China stocks down for third day, smaller-caps drag
- 08:26 Shame of South Yorkshire's 9000 animal cruelty complaints
- 08:26 RISE AND SHINE: All your essential morning info to start the day
- 08:25 Daimler says expects record sales for Mercedes-Benz cars in first...
- 08:25 Rangers wonderkid urged to snub Chelsea and follow in footsteps of...
- 08:23 Inquest opened on victims of A525 death crash
- 08:22 Council facing 'tremendous' challenge to clear up Doncaster's air
- 08:21 Silk roads and chilled beef - how China is trying to fill a Trump...
- 08:21 Article 50: What does its triggering mean?
- 08:21 Telford flats hit by vandalism
- 08:21 What are the key issues for the Brexit negotiations?
- 08:21 Hospital order made on Shropshire woman who set fire to mother’s home
- 08:21 Sharp rise in Shropshire animal cruelty cases
- 08:21 Poll: Do you agree with plans to limit the number of items allowed...
- 08:20 Brexit's Article 50 to be triggered TODAY - here's what is likely...
- 08:20 Woman and teenager charged in connection with death of Pedro Godinho
- 08:20 Does your wallet or purse contain a new £1 coin worth £250?
- 08:19 The blood bike Bishop who transports vital packages across the region
- 08:19 Kath Cassidy's son pays tribute to the Newcastle United stalwart...
- 08:19 Convictions for cruelty against animals in the North East fall, but...
- 08:19 Crash between car and bike causing tailbacks on A46
- 08:18 Adam Lallana could miss as many as six Premier League games due to...
- 08:18 French ex-PM Valls backs Macron for president
- 08:17 Suspension for Shropshire nurse who altered notes of a teenage boy...
- 08:17 Shame of South Yorkshire's 9000 animal cruelty complaints
- 08:17 Letter: Osborne’s roles show us why parliament must be overhauled
- 08:17 Police probe claims empty Coca Cola cans 'contaminated with...
- 08:16 Clean sheet thrills Edinburgh as Cobblers boss targets final flourish
- 08:15 Heartfelt tribute to 'wonderful' former Grimsby teacher Marjorie Hogg