Turning pollution into FUEL: Chemists accidentally discover a way to convert carbon dioxide into ethanol
Last year, nearly 38.2 billion tons of carbon dioxide were pumped into the air from the burning of fossil fuels such as coal and oil.
But scientists have come up with a way to convert the gas into a more useful product – ethanol.
The researchers stumbled upon the simple reaction by accident, but if the process could be scaled up to industrial size, it could help to reduce the effects of global warming.
THE CATALYST The researchers created a catalyst – a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction - made of carbon, copper and nitrogen.
When voltage was applied, the catalyst... read more
- 06:24 Daventry residents asked for their views on proposed town centre...
- 06:23 Two charged over racial slurs aimed at Jamie Foxx in a restaurant
- 06:23 Woman cyclist chases catcalling van driver and gets revenge
- 06:23 Shop worker gives mum a break by taking her baby while he...
- 06:21 Aberdeen star Peter Pawlett determined to earn new deal at Pittdorie
- 06:21 Dundee defender Darren O'Dea says manager Paul Hartley has put him...
- 06:21 Rangers interim boss Graeme Murty is coping well in Ibrox hotseat,...
- 06:21 Scotland star Richie Gray not worried about who is the captain...
- 06:21 Hibs boss Neil Lennon says rant following Raith Rovers draw proves...
- 06:21 Celtic striker Moussa Dembele could stay at Parkhead for four...
- 06:21 The makings of Moussa Dembele as his agent reveals all about the...
- 06:21 East Kilbride striker admits he defied gaffer's orders to seal win...
- 06:20 Bot out, Ukip tells Putin, as pro-Russia tweeters attack Paul Nuttall
- 06:20 Court ruling due on challenge to minimum income...
- 06:20 Shrewsbury boss fined £3,500 over danger hoverboards
- 06:19 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 06:18 'The EU will END' Terrified European chief fears Marine Le Pen...
- 06:15 Former Manchester United FC star criticises FOUR current players
- 06:15 Lancashire Police failing stress test
- 06:12 Thousands of tiny plastic 'nurdles' washed up on Hartlepool beach
- 06:12 Top sponsors for Sunderland students event
- 06:12 Camera helps catch Wearside flytipper
- 06:12 Sunderland paedophile snared by Dark Justice
- 06:11 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 06:11 Anthony Martial: Why my form was better under Louis van Gaal than...
- 06:10 Plans go in for Sikh temple in Kettering
- 06:10 Independent coffee chain set for expansion with new branches in...
- 06:10 Corby teacher named in top 10 in the world
- 06:10 Teen’s death leaves village in shock
- 06:10 Section of A61 in Chesterfield shut for hours due to 'incident'