Turkish bill clears men of statutory rape if they marry
A bill which would allow men accused of raping underage girls to be cleared if they marry the girl has been preliminarily backed by Turkish MPs.
The government says the bill is aimed at pardoning men who did not realise they were engaging in underage sex.
Critics say it legitimises rape and child marriage, and lets off men who are aware of their crime.
Violence against women in Turkey has increased in the past decade - 40% of women report sexual or physical abuse.
Statistics also show the murder rate of women increased by 1,400% between 2003 and 2010.
The bill was initially approved on... read more
- 15:09 How West Brom can turn an encouraging season into a brilliant one
- 15:09 Northumberland school buildings need £2k per pupil to bring them up...
- 15:08 Chance to boldly go with £4m Enterprise
- 15:08 Mum claims damages after horror cyst ordeal
- 15:08 Each area will have 'chapter' in local plan
- 15:08 Bye-bye Byron Street
- 15:08 Kitchen clink: Rogue trader jailed for fraud
- 15:07 Children brave chop to help young people with cancer
- 15:07 Storm Doris to bring 80mph winds and heavy rain
- 15:06 Digger Festival organisers and artists celebrate George Orwell
- 15:06 Nissan says Brexit-induced fall in pound left it slightly worse off
- 15:06 New BBC Scotland channel a “shift in the right direction”
- 15:06 India's Snapdeal to cut 600 staff, founders forego salary
- 15:06 VIDEO: Bumpy landings for planes at Yorkshire airport as Storm...
- 15:05 Ayrshire boxing legend Alec Mullen backs Irvine ace Ryan Collins to...
- 15:05 Crime scene investigation officers in West Cumbrian town centre
- 15:04 South Sudanese exiles fear kidnap after activists disappear in Kenya
- 15:04 Eden Hazard: Why Chelsea have been so good at Stamford Bridge this...
- 15:04 Manchester United take advantage of bizarre 'loophole' ahead of...
- 15:04 Man 'gutted' in knife attack after refusing to give cash to beggars
- 15:03 NOSTALGIA: Old pictures of Chesterfield Co-op
- 15:03 Storm Doris to bring 80mph winds and heavy rain
- 15:02 Traffic lights review before upgrade works began would have put...
- 15:02 New cafe bar to bring back to life disused bank building
- 15:02 Double penalty points for drivers caught using mobile phone
- 15:02 Sheffield resident heard "shouting and loud voices" moments before...
- 15:02 Northern Powerhouse Minister to speak at major conference on how...
- 15:01 Wall Street slips on weak oil prices; Fed minutes in focus
- 15:01 Iran sends delegation to Saudi for talks on rejoining haj
- 15:01 Germany's 'man of the streets' Schulz plots path to defeat Merkel