Turkey sold as ham and seafood sticks as crab: What inspectors found in some Teesside restaurants
Takeaways and restaurants have been caught serving diners cheap substitutes for promised ingredients.
A survey by Middlesbrough Council’s Environmental Health and Trading Standards team found some food outlets to be selling ham that was being substituted with turkey meat, lamb kebabs made with a mixture of beef and chicken or mutton and lamb and reformed whitefish containing very little or no scampi being sold as scampi.
Investigators looked at menus advertised through well-known internet sites, as well as visiting food outlets in Middlesbrough , and compared the description of dishes... read more
- 14:08 Gentle old horse had to be put down after thugs cut its tongue out
- 14:08 Poundworld to hold 'closing down' sales as administrators insist...
- 14:06 Support proves key for teachers and children alike in Kenya’s...
- 14:06 UPDATE: Two men arrested following armed police operation in...
- 14:05 Bumper crowd turns out for Cleary's Home Show
- 14:03 Work continues on derelict Central Plaza Hotel in Carlisle
- 14:02 LETTER: ‘Children are collateral damage in the war against drugs’
- 14:01 Appeal to trace family of Washington man
- 14:00 Ex-navy officer to be sentenced for sexual offences against eight...
- 14:00 Charity cyclist to set off at border
- 14:00 Should cobbles make a return to town centre?
- 14:00 Woman found after police appeal
- 14:00 RSPB: Frogs and toads are disappearing from Cumbrian gardens
- 14:00 Mesh bags are a thing this summer so our wallets can rejoice
- 13:59 Is it time to legalise medical cannabis in the UK?
- 13:59 Hull's Poundworld stores are officially closing - with a massive...
- 13:58 Two men rob man and woman of bike and phone in Northampton
- 13:58 LETTER: ‘Children are collateral damage in the war against drugs’
- 13:56 Arsenal transfer news: How Ever Banega could fit into Unai Emery's...
- 13:56 Gateshead snap up released Middlesbrough youngster
- 13:55 Primary school bullies chop off five-year-old disabled girl's hair...
- 13:55 LETTER: ‘Children are collateral damage in the war against drugs’
- 13:55 It's going to be a scorcher and here's what's happening
- 13:54 Argentinean TV station held a minute’s silence after Croatia defeat
- 13:54 Arsenal forget Joel Campbell plays for the club as Costa Rica take...
- 13:54 Exam board makes last-minute changes to two A-level papers after leak
- 13:53 Matteo Salvini: a political chameleon thriving on fears
- 13:53 What to expect when Donald Trump visits the UK
- 13:52 LETTER: ‘Children are collateral damage in the war against drugs’
- 13:51 Callous looters raid fire-damaged Campus bar shut after Glasgow...