Turkey sold as ham and seafood sticks as crab: What inspectors found in some Teesside restaurants
Takeaways and restaurants have been caught serving diners cheap substitutes for promised ingredients.
A survey by Middlesbrough Council’s Environmental Health and Trading Standards team found some food outlets to be selling ham that was being substituted with turkey meat, lamb kebabs made with a mixture of beef and chicken or mutton and lamb and reformed whitefish containing very little or no scampi being sold as scampi.
Investigators looked at menus advertised through well-known internet sites, as well as visiting food outlets in Middlesbrough , and compared the description of dishes... read more
- 17:12 Atletico Madrid chief speaks out on Manchester United’s move for...
- 17:12 England fall to series defeat in India despite Eoin Morgan's...
- 17:12 Free Link ATMs could start charging for withdrawals
- 17:12 10 most complained-about adverts in 2016
- 17:12 Coventry City digest: On the day Sky Blues beat the Champions of...
- 17:12 Coventry City opponents Fleetwood splash cash on forward ahead of...
- 17:11 Britain will champion a free market that works for all, claims PM
- 17:11 Spaniels stolen from farm and dog handler’s van
- 17:11 Clydesdale and Yorkshire Banks to close 40 more branches this year:...
- 17:10 Paul Ince makes shock Manchester United and Liverpool transfer claim
- 17:10 Caring schoolgirls set up charity fundraising group
- 17:09 Inmate at Lincoln prison dies in custody
- 17:09 Cumbria crime chief backs Big Sleep event
- 17:09 Notts GCSE results up on last year
- 17:09 Sturgeon: Scottish Government makes sure taxpayers get better deal...
- 17:08 Mental health is a pressing issue for all
- 17:08 Watford closing in on deal for Mauro Zarate as Walter Mazzarri...
- 17:07 Drivers warned of A1 weekend closures as footbridge is replaced
- 17:07 Tyne Tunnel single lane closures to be extended
- 17:06 Watch Derby Olympic swimmer Adam Peaty star in Quorn national TV...
- 17:06 Know these men? Police investigate 'racist remarks' at Derby County...
- 17:05 Heartbroken mum, 21, killed herself after struggling to cope with...
- 17:05 UPDATED: Power lines collapse closing stretch of A157 between...
- 17:05 Free Link ATMs could start charging for withdrawals
- 17:04 9 herbal gins you need to try
- 17:04 Can you tell the difference between high end and high street make-up?
- 17:04 Gambia unrest thwarts university research and conservation trip
- 17:04 Lads’ coach trip to Marbs hits the box
- 17:03 Prem rivals want Chelsea star: Four-year deal ready, player...
- 17:03 Mark Allen admits he needs to lose weight and stop eating takeaways