Troubled man who stole £3,000 from own granddad's funeral fund is spared prison
A troubled young man who plundered his own granddad’s funeral fund to the tune of £3,000 has avoided prison.
Ashley Middleton, 25, was trusted to take out a pre-paid funeral plan in the name of his grandfather, who had cared for him since he was four.
The £3,266 fund was set up for the 73-year-old grandfather, who had mobility problems and did not want his family to face his funeral costs.
Middleton cancelled the plan without his granddad’s permission in October 2012 - but the victim did not discover this until years later.
It emerged Middleton, then 21, was given a refund, minus a £200... read more
- 05:29 Judge to deliver conclusions at inquest into deaths of Tunisia...
- 05:28 Nordic-Baltic 5G telecoms cooperation to be unveiled Tuesday: Norway
- 05:27 Pancake Day 2017: Nation's favourite Shrove Tuesday filling revealed
- 05:26 England Rugby legend Martin Johnson to visit Lincolnshire
- 05:26 Thai palace fires "extremely evil" official
- 05:23 Starbucks bets on super premium 'Roastery' to lead Italy debut
- 05:22 Earn £8 an hour making coffee and 6 other new and varied jobs...
- 05:22 What do Parliament committee clerks do?
- 05:22 Australia Post CEO says he feels sorry for Pauline Hanson over pay...
- 05:21 Man arrested in NSW town of Young over alleged missile advice to Isis
- 05:21 Jose Mourinho has made this change from Louis van Gaal's time at...
- 05:21 Champions League winner opens up on big Liverpool decision
- 05:20 Kings of England: Which clubs have won the most domestic major...
- 05:20 Man City news and transfers LIVE Pep Guardiola press conference...
- 05:20 Manchester United news and transfer rumours Zlatan Ibrahimovic...
- 05:19 Seven jobs in Liverpool you can apply for now
- 05:19 Dovecot thug attacked West Ham fan with a brick
- 05:19 Mark Hillman murder: Hunt continues for mystery fourth suspect
- 05:14 Driver in dock accused of causing 'life-changing spinal injuries'...
- 05:14 Theresa May faces opposition over plan to change disability benefit...
- 05:14 Vulnerable young people put at risk by council decision, charity...
- 05:12 China says it has received its largest foreign drone order - Xinhua
- 05:12 Police detain teen found 'off his head' at train station
- 05:12 Joe Ward's FA Trophy form gives Lincoln City boss Danny Cowley...
- 05:11 Man United weigh up summer defensive swoop: West Ham tried to sign...
- 05:07 North Korea is ‘COMPLETELY UNHINGED’ blasts US official as global...
- 05:07 Tribal dance festival gives Indians sense of belonging – archive, 1959
- 05:06 Australia terror arrest: Man held over suspected missiles plan
- 05:03 10 of the best ways to enjoy New York … on a budget
- 05:03 Losses of £58bn since the 2008 bailout – how did RBS get here?